EMERSON JACOB has been appointed librarian at California State Polytechnic College at San Luis Obispo after having served for five years as librarian at the Ritter library of Baldwin-Wallace College, Berea, Ohio. A native of Ohio, he received his AB at Mount Union College, MSLS from Western Reserve, MA in history from Columbia, and in 1961, his PhD in history from West- Dr. Jacob ern Reserve.
Dr. Jacob's previous positions were as assistant librarian at Mount Union College, acquisitions librarian at the University of Maryland, and from 1948-58, acquisitions librarian at Michigan State University. At Michigan State he helped build up the research collections during a period when the university was developing an extensive graduate program. At Baldwin-Wallace College he successfully supervised the transfer of the book collection into the new Ritter library in 1959.
During his tenure at Baldwin-Wallace, Dr. Jacob has been active in programs for interlibrary cooperation sponsored by the Cleveland Commission on Higher Education. He has also been an active participant in the informal meetings of the Northeastern Ohio Academic Librarians Group. Never an ivory-tower professional, Dr. Jacob has combined his scholarly subject interests with a keen interest in current affairs and has always been most generous in offering professional advice and assistance to other librarians in the Northeastern Ohio area. At California Polytechnic he will assume the responsibility for library service at a growing institution. To this responsibility he will bring a broad and varied experience which should prove an immeasurable asset to academic librarianship in California.
Miss Alberta E. James, the present instructor in the Art Department, was born in Berea, Ohio, on December 4th, 1867. Having received the elements of art from various Cleveland and Berea instructors, she was, at an early age, sent to Manchester, Iowa, where for three years she continued her work under the direct supervision of a student of French art and a graduate of the Boston Art School. Returning to her home in Berea, she occupied two years with work under Cleveland specialists, and in the fall of 1887 she accepted the position in Baldwin University which she now holds.