Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Use this Guide to:
- Read historic treatises on the fugue and 16th-century counterpoint --> Bibliography
- Find anthologies of music by women composers --> Reference sources
- Locate translations of early Latin and Italian treatises in music theory --> Web Resources
- Search for scholarly articles that discuss serial techniques employed by Webern and Schoenberg --> Databases
- Identify a journal that discusses mathematics and music --> Journals
- Watch a TedTalk by Michael Tilson Thomas produced by Film for the Humanities --> Audio & Video
This Music Theory Library Guide's bibliographies includes selected resources from Music Theory Selected Bibliography compiled by Mary Wennerstrom (Indiana University, 2011). Please consult this bibliography (see PDF below) for a more comprehensive list of sources.
Paul Cary, Conservatory Librarian