Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The cornerstone for the German Wallace College Chapel took place on June 5, 1872 at 2:00 p.m. The building was built in 1872 for the German Methodist Congregation, which was organized in 1856. It was built in the Romanesque Revival architectural style using Berea sandstone. Before the construction of the Chapel, the congregation met in Baldwin Hall and later in Wallace Hall. The building was built in its location because Berea was growing northward from the quarry areas and the close proximity of the church to German Wallace College was seen as an advantage as well. The trustees of the church and the college agreed in 1870 to unite their efforts in building the church.