Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Bagley Hall was formerly the training facility for the Cleveland Browns. Built in 1971, it is located next to the George Finnie Stadium, and directly behind the Art and Drama Center parking lot. The building was dedicated on Tuesday, September 5, 1972. At the time, the new facility was considered to be one of the best in the national Football League. The 72' by 114' facility included a player's lounge, locker room, exercise room, sauna, handball court, two conference rooms, and a 66' auditorium that can be divided for the team's offensive and defensive meetings. Offices and a press lounge were located on the second floor, providing Browns staff and news media ability to observe practice on the field behind the building. The George Finnie stadium also served as an additional training facility for artificial turf. In addition, the B-W athletic fields on Eastland road near the administration building have been redesigned and improved with the help of the Browns.
The Browns complex was built at a cost of $380,000 by Heine, Crider, and Williamson, and built by the R. S. Ursprung Co. of Berea.
The facility was leased from Baldwin-Wallace by the Browns, but have since outgrown it. When the building became available much debate occurred about its use and how it would best serve the student body. In a meeting with president Malicky and the Student Senate, possible uses were discussed. These uses included housing the Division of Education there, a math and computer science center, replacing the dining hall in Lang and converting it to a new eating hall for north campus, and using to athletic benefits of the facility to house the football team. In the end, the vacant building was determined to become as a residence hall. This idea was most acceptable and the building became Bagley Hall, an all male residence hall.
In the fall of 1994, Residence life decided that B-W need a "Wellness Hall" on campus that would be drug and alcohol and drug free. The idea was to provide a community for students who were dedicated to healthy living. In addition, the hall would become coed. The students of Bagley Hall responded to the idea with protest. Letters were written in The Exponent and petitions were signed and sent to administrators. They felt is was unfair that their hall was chosen for this project.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Originally a factory, the sandstone structure was built by John Baldwin in 1851. It served to house students who wished to board themselves at Baldwin University, and contained the German Department that developed into German Wallace College. During this time Dr. Jacob Rothweiler headed this department. The building was turned over to German Wallace College and together with Wallace Hall, the two buildings served the college until 1872. The Hall the hall provided dormitory rooms, reading rooms, and a chapel room used for prayer.
Citation: “Felix De Weldon,” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 42, no. 6 (1967): p. 1.
John F. Kennedy, the Simon Bolivar monument, the Red Cross monument and the National Guard monument which will soon be dedicated. Nearing completion is a statue of General John J. Pershing being dedicated in France on for this statue the 50th anniversary of Armistice Day. The cornerstone was placed in Paris on La Place des Etats Unis last June in honor of the arrival of the American Expeditionary Forces 50 years ago.
A series of bas reliefs depicting Man's civilization through the ages will be completed next spring by De Weldon for Baldwin-Wallace's college union, Strosacker Hall. Made possible by a benefactor of the College, the 20 reliefs are made of stone and will have bases of black Swedish granite. Panels portraying Western civilization will be placed along the west wing of the union foyer and those of Eastern civilization, along the east wing. Each section of 10 panels will stand nine feet high and 27 feet wide with an appropriate inscription carved beneath each relief.
By 1866, the German Methodist Orphan Asylum had moved from Kohler Hall which had become too small to house all the orphans into what is now called the Administration Annex. At this time, only the central portion of the building was in existence. The Methodist- Episcopal Conference provided the funds necessary for the building of the new Orphan's Asylum, and the land was purchased from the Reverend Jacob Rothweiler. By 1891, the home needed more room, and the front section of the building was added. In 1903, after a gift from Mrs. Fannie Nast Gamble (the first woman graduate of German Wallace College and the wife of William Gamble of Proctor and Gamble industries), the home added the back sections of the building which included a dining room and a chapel.
World War I came and went. By this time there were more than 100 children under the Orphanage's care as well as a waiting list of at least 2 months. One of the boys present in the Asylum during that time wrote the following letter of gratitude;
Although we seldom had enough to cat... and to know a nickel from a dime was even more seldom realized, the number of children in those days was far greater than today and the Home was always hard-pressed to make ends meet. To provide all of us children with a sufficient quantity of food and clothing was impossible. But the training - stern as it was - gave us a fine Christian upbringing.
In 1928, the orphanage began to build cottages to house some of the children. The cottage system was based on a theory that cottages provided a better home atmosphere. In the meantime, the Annex was still housing homeless children.
Until the 1930's, the children, or inmates as they were always called in publications of the home, were not able to leave the grounds of the home. Finally, the home realized that social isolation was no! beneficial lo the children. Consequently, the children were sent to public school (schoolrooms had originally been equipped in the home.) The children also attended the local Emanuel Methodist Church.
With the post-war boom which swept the country, needed funds for the home became more easily accessible. Then came the Stock Market crash and the reverberations were felt in the home. Throughout the difficult times that ensued, the home struggled on — time after time it was saved from disaster only by the help of the Board and faithful friends. Up to this time, more than 2,000 children found shelter in the asylum during the times of trouble as well as prosperity.
The orphans that came to the asylum were children whose parents had been victims of tuberculosis or the Civil War. The men of Berea worked in the sandstone quarries, and eventually the silica, which they constantly breathed, took its toll in the form of fatal tuberculosis. In the meantime, the Civil War, which had once been a threat, suddenly became a reality. The Germans of Berea fought for their adopted homeland. The number of victims of the war increased the number of half orphans already living in Berea. The mothers tried desperately to hold together what was left of their families. They went to work at night cleaning the unheated streetcars and office buildings of Cleveland. Cold winter winds, overwork, and the beginnings of tuberculosis contracted from their husbands proved to be too much for some women. Half orphans became full orphans.
The citizens of Berea tried to care for the children but found it necessary to build a home. After several years of preparation, Marie Beltsh became the first child to be admitted to the German Methodist Orphan Asylum, which was the first Methodist home in the United States, and which, at that time, housed only orphans of German-Methodist lineage.
A letter written by August Klotzbach, the 124th child to enter the asylum and the architect of the 1891 addition to the annex, tells of life in the home: Life in the Asylum was very different than it is in the Home today. Just as discipline in all families was sterner during this period, so likewise, it was more severe in the Asylum. But, rigid and often harsh as it was, it somehow turned out sturdy men and women. "When my brother and I arrived at the Asylum, after the death of our parents, we felt lost and strange. Everything looked so big that we both set up a crying spell. But the Superintendent soon put a stop to that by holding up each of us by our collars as we danced around and around. When we were later led into the dining room, we had lost all appetite for food. However, with the help and sometimes the cuffs of our 'overseers' (older boys in charge of younger ones), we soon learned to 'fit in.' It was the duly of our overseers to make sure that our faces were washed, our hair combed, clothes buttoned up, Saturday baths taken regularly down in the River at the 'Rocks.' The Superintendent usually accompanied us.
Food was plain and often scarce. Once a day boiled eggs were served. Meat was a luxury which we seldom had. Even the eggs were often confiscated by the older boys from the younger ones but we were afraid to complain. "Often the big boys had fights with the Superintendent. During one of these fights, the big boy broke the Superintendent's glasses, cutting him around the eyes. A short time after that the Superintendent was changed and no boys over 16 years old were permitted to remain at the Home. Our next Superintendent was more strict but we liked him better.
In the summer we kids got up before sunrise and hiked, carrying big pails, to Strongsville to pick berries for canning. When the Asylum bought a horse and wagon it made it easier for all of us. Each year a Mr. Bartlett brought sixty cords of wood to the Home. It gave us boys plenty of exercise after school and on Saturdays to lake turns - two boys at a time - to draw that 5-foot cross cut-saw back and forth. Once sawed and split the wood was carried to the basement and piled up to be used for the kitchen stove, laundry and bake oven. During 'onion time,' when the farmers harvested their crops, each of us kids weeded the onion beds. The 50 cents a day we earned we gave to the Superintendents for the support of the Home.
However, it was not all work. In summer we were permitted to go swimming in the old quarries and in the winter we skated on the frozen ditches. Each child had a garden plot where he could grow vegetables and the girls flowers. II was about 1882 when the fire escape was erected and the bedrooms on the third floor plastered. We were glad of that, for when it rained we had to put tubs under the holes in the mansard roof to keep the water from dropping down into our bedrooms. Since these bedrooms had no heal, we used to scrape off the quarter-inch frost from the walls and window panes with our finger nails. Come summer we spent part of each night swatting insects or chasing out the bats that swooped around our beds. But cold or heal, no one ever seemed to get sick.
Our chapel also served as our schoolroom. If we slept or nodded in church we had to stand in line and hold out our arms at full length us long as we could. At Christmas we always had a Christmas Tree made in the German manner. Four wood panels were fastened to a large board at the base, with a smaller panel at the top. Pieces of string were wrapped around the wood to which were lied bits of spruce and cedar. On the round board at the top candles were fastened which when lighted went round and round until they burned out. On the bottom board were boxes with each child's name. They contained hard candy, nuts, an apple and an orange. It was also in the chapel that we took our examinations before the Trustees.
A big bell which hung from the second floor ceiling marked out time: twice it rang for dinner and other meals; once to get cleaned up, and 10 minutes later to march into the dining room where we ate sitting on benches drawn up before long bare tables. Our plates and cups were made of tin.
What did we eat? Mostly molasses, bread and coffee for breakfast and evening meals, sometimes varied with mush and milk. 'Knot soup' or dumplings made of flour and milk, boiled eggs and vegetables were the noon fare. Butter and meat were luxuries which we seldom if ever had, but we did get apple pic once each week. For all these blessings we said a prayer before meals with a hymn sung afterwards.
The cellar was a busy place. Washing and baking were done there on a four-lid cast iron stove. Both boys and girls did the washing. When it rained the floods on the floor had to be dipped out, everyone taking turns. To help with food we raised chickens, ducks, rabbits, and cows. The dogs and peacocks were our pals.
No, life in that early Asylum was not easy. But it turned out some mighty sturdy, fine men and women.
I spent 11 years at the Home'. At the end of that time I was 'bound over' to it as an apprentice in architecture. I think one of the proudest days of my life came when in 1891 I saw my name carved on the cornerstone of our new addition. I can see it yet:
German Methodist Orphan Asylum Founded A.D. 1864 Erected 1866 and 1891 Klotzbach, Architect"
In 1937, the German Methodist Orphans Asylum changed its name to the Methodist Children's home.
A catastrophe hit the home just before Thanksgiving in 1950. Smoke and flames devoured the entire fourth floor and did considerable damage to the third floor where it had originated in the faulty wiring. Miraculously enough, not one child was hurt. Much was lost in the fire however. The damage amounted to about $10,000. The building lost one of its great redeeming features in the fire. Prior to the holocaust, there had been a large set of carillon chimes located in a steeple on the roof of the building. These chimes were consumed in the bla/.es along with much furniture and office equipment.
Several years later, the Annex was condemned as unsafe for children to inhabit. Administrative offices of the Home and Baldwin-Wallace College took over the building which was sold to the college in 1959 while the children were moved to cottages. Both the college and the orphanage used the edifice until 1964 when the college gained full possession of the building.
The Annex still aids students by housing such important facilities as the Experimental Learning Center Food Service, Purchasing, and the Custodial Services of the college.
The Administration Annex is outlined below as it was just after the final additions in 1903. The basement (not shown) housed the play rooms as well as the baking facilities. The first floor contained student rooms, nursery and kitchen-dining rooms. The second floor was the location of the house-parents quarters and the library and school rooms with a large chapel The third floor was the main living space for the orphans consisting of large dorm rooms and two "hospital" rooms. The fourth floor held dormitory space (very few children were housed there, though) and several large game rooms.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Founded as the Methodist Children's Home in 1864, the home was the first orphanage built by the Methodist denomination by Dr. William Nast and Dr. William Abrems founded the home to provide a place for orphans of members of the German Methodist Church and for children whose fathers died in the Civil War or in the stone quarries of Berea. After a period of time needed to raise the appropriate funds, a license was received from the State of Ohio granting a charter to the German Methodist Orphanage Asylum. The first home was a small brick structure built in the early 1850's by James Wallace, a prominent quarry owner. It was later sold to The German Wallace College and is now the old section of Kohler Hall By 1866, the American Methodists celebrated their centennial and the growth of its first orphanage when it increased from four acres to twenty acres on what is now the comer of East Center Street and Eastland Road.
The first building of the present orphanage was dedicated in Thanksgiving Day of 1866. It was three stories and was 45 by 70 feet, large enough to accommodate fifty to sixty children. In 1874, a second story was added as well as a French style roof. This change provided more rooms for children, but in time it became too small to meet growing demands. The trustees decided to build a new structure in front of the old 5 structure. After two years of fund raising the cornerstone was laid in 1891. President of Baldwin University, Dr. J. E. Stubbs gave the main address and Dr. Jacob Rothwieler was present to laid the stone and speak at the ceremony in both German and English. The cornerstone stone contained a copy of the Bible, a list of names of the children, trustees, Baldwin University and German Wallace catalogues, documents and various newspapers from the period. It cost $22,000 and made room for fifty more children. The new structure was dedicated on June of 1892. The architect was A. Klotchbach, an apprentice architecture who had spent 11 years in the home.
In June of 1902, another building was stated to meet growing needs. It was in back of the first two buildings at the same height, costing $38,000. Dedicated on March 5, 1903, it contained a chapel on the first floor large enough to fit 400 people. The dining room and chapel were named in honor of Margaret Elias Nat, mother of Fanny Nast Gamble, who donated $10,000 to the project.
In 1924, the back section of the building was added forming a cross and the name was changed to German Methodist Orphanage Home and later to Methodist Children's Home. The fist cottage was built in 1928, after people realized that smaller groups would create a more homelike environment, unlike it had been with 120 to 160 children lived in one structure. Three more cottages were built in the 1930's. A fire in the 1950's inspired two more separate cottages so all the children could be moved out of the old home.
In February of 1960, President Bonds announced the purchase of the old home and about 17 ½ acres of land at about $400,000 to be used to expand the college. On the Home centennial year, in 1964, the building was dedicated and named the Harry C. Gahn Memorial administration Building. The building became the Administration Annex and housed Food Service, Purchasing, the Audio-Visual Center, the Experimental Learning Center, the Upward Bound program, and Custodial Services. In the late summer of 1974, the building was demolished to make room for the Jacob O. Kamm Business and Economics Building.
See: student web exhibit, curated by Sean Padden and Tanner Elenbaas at https://bworphangetranslation.weebly.com/
The Black Cultural Center (B.C.C.), 325 Front Street, was established at B-W in the Spring of 1970 through a joint effort of the B-W administration and the newly founded Black Student Alliance (B.S.A.) organization. The reasons behind its creation vary widely, but the most important were and still are, to help promote black awareness on campus and to serve as a permanent facility where the activities of B.S.A. could radiate to include all facets of college life.
The "Black House", as it is often referred to, was decorated in an original combination of African and American styles by the students. The B.C.C. is divided into twelve rooms, each with its own character and name. For example, the purple room is a conference area and is furnished with a conference table, chairs, large black board and creates a business-like atmosphere, while the television room has bean bag chairs, a television set and red, black and green striped walls.
The B.C.C, although of special interest to its black student population, is a college owned facility and therefore, open to all B-W personnel and functions. These activities extend from the occasional classroom to a reception for past and present May Day Queens.
A special open house for new students will be held at the Black Cultural Center on Sunday, September 22 from 7:30 until 9 p.m. This affair will be hosted by the Black students and they will be available to answer questions about the creation and purpose of the "House". Refreshments will be served.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The "Boiler Room" was a student center and snack bar built in the room previously housing the college's heating plant. A hot meal was served everyday, as well as sandwiches, salads, and ice cream products. In the fall of 1948, the Boiler Room was expanded into the front part of the basement of Marting Hall to accommodate about 40 people .. Pipes and valves added to the unique decor of the Boiler Room. "Bop" concerts were a popular attraction, as musicians played for a packed crowd several times a week. This was part of the campus Jazz Workshop.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The Administration Building was dedicated on the 125th Annual Founders's Day, October 15, 1970. The new administrative center brought the College's administrative offices into one building and central location. (Adm. Offices had formerly been located in Dietsch Hall, the Alumni House, and Adm. Annex). The facility is named after B-W President Alfred B. Bonds, Jr. The structure was built on the comer of Eastland Rd. and Center St.
The building is a two story Georgian-colonial design, all electric, and air conditioned. It was designed by the Heine, Crider, and Williamson of Berea, and was built by the R. S. Ursprung Company at a cost of $1.6 million. In April of 1966, the 10th Anniversary of Dr. Bonds' Presidency, the Trustees announced the building would be named in his honor.
The Administrative offices include Admission, Financial Aid, the Registrar, Career Services, the Bursar, Telecommunications, Academic advising, Continuing Education, the mail room and Student Affairs. In addition, it contains the President's office, a board room, Dean of the College, Dean of Students, and other various offices.
The elusive "Red Pin” has come to the College Unions's Games Area, where it will challenge the bowling progress of students every Monday and Wednesday from 2 to 4 p.m.
The "Red Pin" circulates through the bowling machine. When it appears in the head pin position, anyone bowling a strike for that frame will win the whole game free.
Games are subject to the following rules:
(You can cam all three free, but three must be played)
For more information, ask any Games Area attendant.
In an attempt to keep up with the times, plans are in the works to give the Strosacker College Union Games Area a facelift. This process began with the creation of a task force comprised of faculty, administrative staff and students who evaluated the entire operation. Ralph Carapellotti, Director of the College Union and Conference Coordinator, chaired the task force with clear objectives in mind - "to save the college money, potentially generate revenue, and provide a more efficient use of space."
While the plans and the budget for the project are currently pending approval, Carapellotti said current efforts are already saving the college money. The demolition of the bowling alley, which look place over winter break of '92-'93, will relieve the games budget of $ 13,000 annually. Although B-W owned the alleys and the equipment, the pin machines were on a lease through AMF Bowling Incorporated. According to Roy Seitz, part-time games area attendant, the bowling classes and small community leagues, which made up the bulk of the lanes' use, did not warrant the high maintenance and manpower costs lo run the machines.
In Carapellotli's words, "the lack of student use is part of an overall, decreased interest in the sport of bowling, especially in the Cleveland area - this is reflected in the closings of both commercial and campus bowling alleys nationwide." Carapellotti said that successful bowling alleys prosper due to their tolerance of smoking and their alcohol sales, a situation undesirable at B-W. In statistics given by AMF and the American Bowling Congress, 58% of profitable bowling centers claimed their alcohol sales revenues were higher than those from bowling rentals.
The proposed plans will make will make the entire Games Area, including the former bowling alleys, a multi-purpose area. The changes would allow for a 250- seat meeting area, which could be partitioned into two75-seatspaccs. Carapellotti speculated that, "the small Senate Chamber may move to the larger Quarry Room, and the barber shop may become a one-seat operation - the College Bookstore should remain relatively unaffected, with the possibility of changing its present entrance." The coin-operated game machines and game tables may receive a "more dimly lit, concentrated area, creating a game room atmosphere," Carapcllotli indicated. The changes to the main area would allow for more tournament play possibilities for ping-pong, billiards, and possibly darts. Should the college officers and architect approve the plans, Carapolelti said he "would begin construction as soon as possible."
"The games area will remain a primarily student operation," said Carapellotti. Jeff Dettmer will be the new Assistant Games Area Manager. Carapellotti would like to hire seven or eight students to watch the daily operations, who would work along with B-W Alumnus Seitz, who currently attends the Games Area part-time, along with another part-time adult. The two part-time adults would provide the operations with experience and supervisory skills.
Carapellotti hopes the increased meeting spaces will encourage student organizations to hold their functions on-campus, free of charge, as opposed to paying rent for off-campus facilities. While "campus groups will continue to have priority for meeting spaces, the college could generate revenue from outside sources, coming in during vacancies," said Carapellottti. "Businesses enjoy holding events in a college atmosphere for the nostalgia, the reminder of their college days and the learning environment which surrounds them. They get a feeling that real learning will take place."
Research on "baby worlds," the minor planets, will be the outstanding activity of the E. P. Burrell Memorial Observatory, In the last stages of completion on our north campus, The $75,000 Institution will provide convenient access to astronomical lore to residents of the metropolitan area extending west as far as Lorain.
The observatory is the gift of Mrs. Burrell in memory of her husband whose name Is already celebrated in astronomy, but hereto fore less familiar to laymen. As director of engineering for the Warner & Swasey Company prior to his death In 1937, Dr. Burrell designed some of the world's great telescopes, including the 82-inch reflector dedicated at the McDonald Observatory in Texas last year.
"The observatory will incorporate major features exhibiting Dr. Burrell's genius as a designer, a true- scientist rind an outstanding engineer," Dr. Dustheimer said. "The telescope will be built at the Warner & Swasey Company, which lie served for 37 years."
Of the refracting type, using a 13 1/2 inch lens rather than a mirror, the telescope will be housed beneath a 20-foot dome in the observatory building which will Include a class and lecture room, a laboratory, an astronomical museum and offices. When completed, the observatory will be open to the public without charge one night a week, featuring lectures and opportunities to study the planets as they appear.
"The Smith Observatory, now named the Student's Observatory, will remain for the time being in the same place for individual student's work," Dr. Dustheimer stated. "A new telescope is being made for this observatory while the old 4 1/2 -inch refractor will be used as a finder in the Burrell Observatory.
Dedication of the Burrell Memorial Observatory will follow commencement exercises on June 10.
Center of night life at B-W is the Burrell Memorial Observatory far out on the north campus. Although it draws a large part of its fame from being the local Lovers' Lane, the observatory has a busy nighttime existence of its own, with students charting star maps, and gazing through the thirteen inch telescope under the watchful eye of Professor Paul Annear.
Built in 1940, the Burrell Observatory is a memorial to Burrell, for many years chief engineer at Warner and Swasey, the total cost of the building was $85,000, with $17,000 going for the telescope.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Built in 1939 and 1940, the observatory houses a 13 ½ inch telescope for the study of astronomy. It also contains classrooms, a laboratory, and offices. The department of mathematics was originally located in the observatory as well. Other features include a meridian circle, sidereal and mean time clock, zenith telescope and chronometer, spectrometer and chronograph. Made of Berea sandstone, the observatory was to be the central figure in the rectangular area of north campus. The Burrell Observatory replaced the Smith Observatory, formerly located at the present site of Lang Hall. Baldwin-Wallace was in need of an observatory large enough to hold classes.
A library and a room to be used for lectures as well as a computing and recitation room for 55 students were located at one end of the building and the other end was equipped with a transit telescope instrument and a Zenith telescope. The basement included photograph and spectroscopical rooms, a work shop, and a heating plant. The roof of the lecture room is used for studying constellations through a dome which is twenty-six feet in diameter.
Dedicated at 11:45 a.m. on Monday, June 10, 1940, the observatory was named in honor of Dr. Edward. P. Burrell, the chief engineer for the Warner & Swasey Co. of Cleveland, and the nations leading telescope builder before his death in 1937. The $125,000 facility was made possible by a $75,000 gift of Mrs. Burrell in memory of her husband. Dr. Dayton C. Miller, President of the Board of Trustees accepted the gift on behalf of the college. President Louis C. Wright and Dr. O.L. Dustheimer, professor of mathematics and astronomy, spoke at the dedication.
The Burrell Memorial Observatory was to have special programs dealing with topics in Astronomy, mainly for B-W students. The observatory was also open to the public without charge one night a week throughout the school year , featuring lectures and opportunities to study the planets. Over the years, these programs shrunk from weekly to monthly, to several times a year as they are now.
The college modernized some of its equipment with the purchases several portable telescopes to be used outdoors. In addition, a devise was added to allow the view of the telescope to be transferred to a television screen.