Mrs. S. W. Eddy, the present Preceptress of Baldwin University, was born in Medina Co., Ohio, in 1860. In 1883 she completed the classical course in Baldwin University, and in the fall of the same year married the Rev. Barton T. Eddy, of the same class, with whom she set sail for India as a missionary.
What was fondly hoped might prove a life work was cut short in only three and a half years by the death of her husband and the disastrous effects of the climate.
On returning to her native land she spent two years in Evangelistic and mission work in Ohio, after which she went to Utah to enter again the ranks of the missionaries, and this time in the most difficult of all fields. Here six years were spent in teaching-two in the Salt Lake Seminary and four in the Territorial Agricultural College of Utah. This last position she resigned to accept her present one.
The Ladies' Hall, over which she so faithfully and efficiently presides, has been the happy home of a large number of girls this year. Mrs. Eddv has done all things to promote the best interests of those under her charge, and all who come in contact with her cannot help but be uplifted both spiritually and morally.
She is in every way fitted for the responsible position she has been called to fill, and it can be truthfully said that only good will and harmony are felt in the family home.
In appreciation of her kindness the young ladies gave her on her birthday an Epworth League pin on which was engraved these words: "To one we love." This little incident shows how much she is esteemed by all whose privilege it is to be under her care.