Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Encyclopedia of Baldwin Wallace University History: Personnel - A

An Index of Historical Content and Their Sources

Annear, Paul Richard

Long-time faculty member, Paul Annear, Mathematics and Astronomy. Source: Page 44, 1946 Grindstone.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Citation: “India Asks; B- W Replies,” The Exponent, January 10, 1945, p. 3.

From distant India came a request from a group of American servicemen for the Baldwin-Wallace Observatory to act as mediator in a dispute as to whether the constellation the Southern Cross could be seen from that latitude.

This inquiry was the outgrowth of the ''Star Gazer Club" a radio program for amateur astronomers which was started in the early days of radio by Dr. O. L. Dustheimer of John Carroll University and formerly of Baldwin- Wallace. Professor Paul Annear, when he came to Baldwin-Wallace in 1942, continued to work with Dr. Dustheimer on the broadcast.

The broadcast, which attracted thousands of listeners, continued over WTAM until last spring when it was temporarily discontinued.

Professor Annear, who received the letter from Sergeant George Boyce, says that they can see the Southern Cross at the given latitude about an hour before sunrise, five or 10 degrees above the horizon.

Citation: “Faculty Appointments,” Baldwin-Wallace College News Letter 8, no. 6 (1942): p. 2.

Professor Paul Richard Annear, who came to Baldwin-Wallace College as an instructor a year ago, has been made acting head of the department of Mathematics and Astronomy and director of the Burrell Astronomical Observatory. Mr. Annear is a graduate of Drake University and holds a Master's degree in Science from Case School of Applied Science. He has been recently working on a Doctor's degree at the University of Michigan.

Ashburn, Alwyn

Citation: James D. Harvey, ed., "Ashburn Collection Dedicated," Pursuit 9, no. 1 (August 1976): 16.

As a fitting tribute to W. Alwyn Ashburn '35, retiring professor of English and of libraries and materials, a collection of books of Great Britain was dedicated in his name on Saturday, June 5.

Dr. George Maciuszko, director of Ritter Library, presented Professor Ashburn with the framed original drawing of the bookplate which was designed by Professor Ashburn's son-in-law, for the W. Alwyn Ashburn Collection of Books of Great Britain.

A member of the English faculty for 28 years, Professor Ashburn also skillfully added to the College's collections of rare books, art objects and artifacts as professor of libraries and materials.

His scholarship is worldwide in scope, with literature, history and Middle East archeology subjects of intensive research. The Ashburn Collection of 99 editions attests to the special place in his heart Great Britain holds.

The specialist in Teutonic linguistics assisted in a Chaucer Seminar at Cambridge University in England in 1957. He studied in 1961-62 at the University of London, England, receiving a diploma from the Institute of Archeology. In summer 1965 he traveled with a team of B-W professors to the Middle East to conduct research for a Middle East Studies program. The following summer he was in charge of the B-W team in the four-college American Expedition to Hebron, Jordan, and has been associated with "digs" in Egypt, Iraq, Turkey and on the British Isles.

A 1935 B-W graduate, Professor Ashburn holds a master's degree from Western Reserve University, and he conducted other graduate study at the University of Pennsylvania; Sorbonne, Paris, France; and Duke University, Durham, N. Carolina.