Citation: Frances Mills and Marion Cole, eds., “Visitors Welcome At Lakeside Cottage,” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 27, no. 3 (1949): p. 12.
A touch of Berea at Lakeside, O., is the Baldwin-Wallace Cottage, always open to visiting alumni and friends of the college during the summer months. Located directly across the street from the main auditorium at Lakeside, the cottage will be open through Friday, September 2, this season. Hostesses are B-W students and alumni, such as Martha Lovich, '48, above, elementary teacher from Lorain who spent a month at the cottage.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The proposed observatory was to be built on land provided by Benjamin C. Wood of North Olmstead. He would also pay $33,000 of the $100,000 cost of the building. The observatory would be named in honor of his mother Lavinia Mastic Wood and built on his property in Rockport Township (portion annexed by the City of Cleveland). The land is on a hill behind Puritas Spring Park. Benjamin Wood had a prominent family history as they were among the first early settlers. Lavinia Mastic Wood was the daughter was of a Revolutionary War hero who moved to Ohio in 1816. Other family members served as Governor of Ohio and Minister to Chili.
The death of Benjamin C. Wood, previous to May 24, 1930 changed the planned observatory. The observatory was never built on his land, but was built on the B-W campus in 1940. The design of the proposed building is the same as the Burrell Memorial Observatory.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Baldwin-Wallace established the Experimental Learning Center in the Fall of 1968. During its first year the Learning Center was used by more than 700 of the 2,400 students. It offered four basic programs which included supplemental instruction for courses offered at Baldwin-Wallace, an enrichment program for juniors and seniors, continuing work for students who participated in the summer upward bound program, and a program of individually prescribed instruction for an experimental group. The last program is for students who need work in specific subject areas, students on academic probation, and those who need individual instruction in regular college classes. In 1991- 1992 there were 3,322 uses of the Learning Center and 500 students received tutoring, and 200 students took classes for credit. Today, students use the learning center to get a tutor, to acquire more effective learning strategies, to prepare for graduate school and admissions tests, and to organize their time. The Learning center is located in the lower level of Dietsch Hall.
The college library has probably been put to more use this year than ever before. The suggestions and requirements given in the class room for the purpose of guiding the student in his reading and original investigation have been numerous, and evidently productive of good results. Additions to the library in all departments have been made from time to time from the regular fund, by gifts of friends, and by the special contributions of Mr. John Baldwin. The Rev. G. W. Huddleston is entitled to much credit for the money and labor expended in securing the large collection of books especially adapted to the needs of ministers.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The groundbreaking for the Life and Earth Science Building was in December, 1965 and the cornerstone was laid at the October 19, 1966 Founder's Day Ceremony. The building opened for classes in the Fall of 1966 The Life and Earth Sciences Building was built to house the Departments of Biology and Earth Sciences. The three-story building was connected to the existing McKelvy and Wilker Halls, housing Chemistry and Physics. It was built in the Georgian Colonial style at a cost of $1,278,000, providing facilities for science education, individual research and study. The architects were Heine, Crider, and Williamson of Berea and the builder was the Martini Construction Company.
The Earth Sciences Department was provided a photographic darkroom for map reproduction, a map library, a weather station, and a geology museum. A greenhouse, experimental plot, a vivarium, an animal room, a refrigerated centrifuge, aquariums, and a sterile room were built for the Biology students. The classrooms were equipped with closed-circuit televisions and audio-visual aids. There are also twelve laboratory classrooms. There are also individual laboratories for student and faculty independent research and also offices and seminar rooms are located on the first floor. The building has a special temperature control and ventilation system required for the science teaching and research.
The funds needed to build the structure were the result of gifts and pledges from alumni, corporations, foundations, friends of the college, and a Federal Government grant. The major donations came from Leonard C. Hanna Jr. Fund, $150,000; the Cleveland Foundation, $100,000; the Louis D. Beaumont Foundation, $100,000; the General Motors Corporation, $25,000; and an anonymous gift of $250,000. The Federal grant of $426,000 was through the Higher Education Facility Act of 1963.
Kovach, Tim, and Adam A Bowers. “The Haunted History of Baldwin-Wallace.” The Exponent, October 28, 2008, p. 4.
Life and Earth Sciences Complex - The Science Complex was created in 1960, taking place of the older science laboratories in Carnegie Hall. While the cadaver lab is pretty creepy, the main haunted part of the complex is the Greenhouse to the west. The legend is that a botany professor brought his young child one day to the greenhouse while he was conducting extensive research. Out of tlie blue, a large piece of glass fell onto the child, crushing him or her to death. It's said that tiny footprints have been found in the greenhouse, and often when it's cold at night, a misty fog is seen in the building as well.
Citation: Austin Patterson, 2021
In 2010, the Life and Earth Sciences Building was renamed to Telfer Hall after alumni Art and Helen Telfer donated $7 million to help with the expansion of the building.
Across the shaded lawn from Dietsch Hall towers the stately stone College Chapel. Built in 1872, the College Chapel was used by the Campus German Methodist congregation, and then the Emmanuel Methodist Church. Long considered part of the College, the chapel was purchased by the College in 1949. It had once been used for mandatory chapel services and assemblies. In recent years, it has been devoted for the use of rooms for classes and occasional worship services.
The chapel, built in 1872, is the second oldest building on campus being exceeded only by the original section of Kohler built in 1851. the Chapel has not been renovated since 1923. It has many dated decorations and was "in serious need of repair" according to College Chaplain Dr. Henry Knight. Knight is hoping that the renovated chapel will be open late winter quarter or early spring quarter.
The new chapel will include a new sanctuary and cathedral chair seating replacing the pews. The seating capacity is 134 people downstairs and 32 people in the balcony. An elevator to aid the handicapped and a sky light to light the altar will be added. Also, the building will be the basis for campus worship, small lectures, musical performances and faculty meetings.
The first level will include offices for the chaplain and staff, a lounge and the Ernest Knautz Prayer Chapel. The basement will contain a student lounge, offices for student religious life and a kitchen.
Also included in the renovation project is, the Chapel Square Memorial Garden. The garden will be used as an outdoor room. The chapel renovation, along with the renovations of Marting and Dietsch Halls, will enable the humanities departments to be in one area of campus for the first time in over a decade and also bring Lyceum Square back to the prominence it once had.
For many years Lyceum containing Dietsch and Marting Halls and the Lindsay-Crossman Chapel, had been the focus of the academic, cultural and religious life at Baldwin- Wallace College. The Chapel itself has a special history.
In 1870, Baldwin University trustees and the Emmanuel Methodist Church (which had been serving both the college and community) agreed to build a new building to serve the needs of both groups. On June 5, Baldwin University President W.D. Godman laid the cornerstone of the Romanesque Revival designed chapel.
Completed just two -years later, the chapel was the center of church services, meetings and classes. In 1949, the Methodists turned the chapel entirely over to the college due to their growing Methodist congregation.
In 1953, following a complete renovation, the chapel was dedicated to the memory of former B-W trustees Hamilton Lindsay and A. Fred Crossman.
A 1951 B-W student, John Bunce, summed up the long history of the chapel with this comment: "The ideas which were active in creating and maintaining the college chapel shall not change but will remain firm as the old stone from the Berea quarries which was used to build [it]."
The above information is taken from "The Restoration of Lindsay-Grossman Chapel and Dietsch Hall: Baldwin- Wallace College. "
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The cornerstone for the German Wallace College Chapel took place on June 5, 1872 at 2:00 p.m. The address was given by W.D. Godman, D.D., President of Baldwin University, and then in it was spoken German by Rev. Dunkirk of New York. The articles placed in the cornerstone were a German Hymnbook; Discipline Catechism; Western Christian Advocate; and The Grindstone City Advertiser with a catalog of German Wallace College including names of trustees and faculty. Also included was a photograph of the faculty of the college, as well as names of other college officials and the architect. The building was built in 1872 for the German Methodist Congregation, which was organized in 1856. It was built in the Romanesque Revival architectural style using Berea sandstone. Before the construction of the Chapel, the congregation met in Baldwin Hall and later in Wallace Hall. The building was built in its location because Berea was growing northward from the quarry areas and the close proximity of the church to German Wallace College was seen as an advantage as well. The trustees of the church and the college agreed in 1870 to unite their efforts in building the church. The decision was made because college was in need of a chapel and a large portion of the congregation would be composed of students. The area where the church was built would become known as Lyceum Square, and along with Dietsch and Marting Halls, would become an academic, cultural, and religious hub. The church was under the jurisdiction of the Central German Conference until the conference was disbanded. During this time the Chapel was referred to as the College Chapel - Emmanuel Church or the German Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1946, the congregation merged with the First Methodist Church, now the United Methodist Church of Berea. It was in 1949 that the college gained full possession of the church.
The Chapel is the second oldest building on the B-W campus, but it is the oldest in its original form as Kohler Hall was rebuilt in 1870, 1905, 1916, and 1940. It cost $10,000 to build, of which the college paid $5,000. When it was built, it was considered the finest church building in the village of Berea. The church was used in a variety of ways in its early years. The Sunday School took up a large part of the building for instruction and the new building was a popular meeting place for German people in the community. The college also used the building for instruction, including Professor Julius Barr's music instruction classes.
After the merger of Baldwin University and German Wallace College in 1913, church services were held in English for the first time. In 1914, the congregation reached its high point numbering 309. The merger of the Emmanuel Methodist and the First Methodist Church in 1946 decreased the use of the building. The First Methodist congregation was too large to use the building. Baldwin-Wallace's enrollment was exceeding 1000 students and the size of the chapel was also too small for the college's use. The chapel services were moved to the Kulas auditorium. At that point, the chapel was used for special services and programs, and occasional worship services. Today the Chapel houses office space, the B-W Community Outreach center and a sanctuary. Nondenominational services are held weekly.
The chapel has been renovated several times dating back to an interior renovation in 1899. In 1929, the basement was remodeled to provide more space for the Sunday School and to be used as a social gathering place at cost not exceeding $2,300. The building was renovated with a new interior and exterior repairs in 1953 and was rededicated as the Lindsay - Crossman Memorial Chapel. It was named in honor of B-w Trustees Hamilton Lindsay and A. Fred Crossman, father of Mary Lindsay Crossman. The cost of the 1953 renovation was $47,000. The dedication program was held on November 22, 1953. A new organ was dedicated on May 26, 1964 in honor of Mary Lindsay Crossman, who had given much of the money needed for the 1953 renovation. In 1991 renovation was completed for the Lindsay - Crossman Chapel and Dietsch Hall at a cost of $2,500,000. Both buildings are listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, along with Marting Hall which was also renovated in 1989 at $3,100,000. The "renaissance" of the area of south campus and Lyceum Square permitted all the Humanities to be houses in the same area, which had not happened for more than a decade. The dedication was held on Saturday, June 1, 1991. The Chapel was equipped with an elevator for the disabled, a new stair tower, new office, meeting, and worship areas, and upgrading of the electrical and mechanical systems. It was also cleaned externally. The architects were VanDijk Johnson & Partners and the Panzica Construction Co. was the primary contractor.
Citation: A. R. Webber, Life of John Baldwin, Sr. of Berea, Ohio (The Caxton Press, 1925), 41-43.
"LYCEUM VILLAGE AND BEREA SEMINARY CHARTER
An Act to Incorporate the Berea Seminary
"Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, That Henry 0. Sheldon, John Baldwin, Edward Thomson, Ansel J. Pope (and others, twelve in all), be, and they and their successors are hereby created a body politic and corporate, to be styled 'The Trustees of Berea Seminary, and by that name remain in perpetual succession, with full power to sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, acquire, hold, and convey property, real, personal, and mixed, to the amount of $3,000 annual income, to have and use a common seal, to alter the same at pleasure; to make and alter by-laws, and regulations for their own government, and the government and regulation of the Seminary, its officers, students and servants; Provided, Such by-laws and regulations shall not be inconsistent with the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution and laws of this State.
"Section 2. That the Trustees, a majority of whom shall form a quorum, shall have power to fill all vacancies that may occur in their own body; to appoint or employ such officers, professors, and teachers in the literary and manual labor departments of said Seminary, as they may deem advisable, or the wants of the institution may require; and all process against this corporation shall be by summons, and the service thereof shall be by leaving an attested copy of the same with the chairman of the Board at least ten days previous to the return thereof.
"Section 3. That any future legislature may alter or amend this act: Provided, That the title of any property acquired or conveyed under its provisions shall not be affected thereby, nor diverted from the literary, scientific, and benevolent purposes originally designed. "Passed, March 14, 1837."
"Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, That a meeting of the stockholders of said seminary corporation shall be held on the first Monday of May, annually, at the school room in said Berea, at which meeting shall be elected twelve trustees, who shall hold their offices for one year, and until others shall be elected in their stead; anything in said act of incorporation to the contrary, notwithstanding.
"Section 2. On each ballot given at said election, by stockholder or by proxy, shall be marked the number of shares so voted on; and each share shall be entitled to one vote.
"Section 3. In case an election shall not have taken place on said first Monday of May, in any year, the corporation shall not, for that cause, be dissolved; but such election may be held on some other day of the year after twenty days' notice of such time and place of election shall have been given to the stockholders, by the secretary, by posting such notice up in five public places in said Berea, and by three insertions in a weekly paper of extensive circulation, printed in the county of Cuyahoga. "Passed, March 3, 1841."
Under this charter, the school operated for about five years, till June, 1842, when bankruptcy overtook it. During its life a building was erected in which to have the school. The upper story was used for the recitations and dining room, and the lower for its factory, in which school globes were manufactured and other school supplies.
To finance the enterprise it became necessary for John Baldwin and his associates to endorse paper to raise the necessary funds-they expecting to be repaid out of the earnings of the students and sale of lots laid out, but the adventure left John Baldwin, who was the one possessed of the real means, a bankrupt, indebted for all his properties were worth and more.
The Lyceum Village School was located just north of the Baldwin farm. John Baldwin's farm and mills were involved for more than fifteen thousand dollars, their full value, but, Job-like, he still trusted in God.
Citation: "Lyceum Village Square - -Berea, Ohio," n.d.
Berea, Ohio - a city situated twelve miles southwest of Cleveland, Ohio, is a city with a history involving aspects of the Lyceum village movement prevalent in the United States during the early part of the · nineteenth century.
The Lyceum movement itself was connected with the spread of educational methods and facilities throughout the United States by means of institutes called Lyceums. Leaders in the movement in Berea were Josiah Holbrook, James Gilruth, the Reverend H. 0. Sheldon, a circuit rider, and John Baldwin, who later was the founder of Baldwin Institute in 1845, the forerunner of our present Baldwin-Wallace College. Sheldon and Baldwin also played a part in the naming of Berea (by the toss of coin in 1836), and Sheldon was the first postmaster (1836).
"'We the undersigned hereby mutually agree each with the others that we will give and do hereby give unto the proper constituted trustees, in trust of the community of United Christians all our real and personal estate of whatever name or kind, our time, talents and influence, for the promotion of knowledge and holiness among ourselves and families; and the extention of the Redeemer's Kingdom among men; and we agree at such future time as may be convenient to make out such deeds and inventions as may be required of the same as truly to vest the right of property in said Trustees in trust according to the constitution of the community of United Christians.
Witness our hand and seal this twenty-seventh of June, A.A., 1836'
Henry O. Sheldon,
It existed until 1842, when for various reasons, mainly because of internal strife, the Lyceum failed. There was an indebtedness of $15,000 which was assumed by John Baldwin. A prominent quarryman, James Wallace, acquired the area of the Lyceum Village Square.
"…Reverend H. O. Sheldon explained some of the reasons and feelings involved in establishing this Lyceum Village in his personal diary account. He revealed the questions he asked himself when reaching the decision to form this community.
"How can the Redeemer's kingdom be most effectually built up, and knowledge spread over the earth?... By the body. How can such education be most effectually secured? By manual labor institutions, beginning with infant schools. The plan of an institution flashed at once into my mind. Let a joint stock company be formed of Christian families; farmers, mechanics of various trades, etc., purchase a large tract in a desirable location, reference being had to soil, timber, stone, water power, roads, etc., lay out a village with a central square for public buildings suitable lots, outlots streets, alleys, parks. Erect a school building,… for the various grades, combining manual .labor with instruction in the arts and sciences, dispose of lots to actual settlers only.”
After the failure of the Lyceum Village in 1842, this acreage was acquired by James Wallace, prominent early Berea quarryman. It was owned by the Methodist Children's Home in the 1860's and sold to German Wallace College in 1866 and became the original German Wallace College Campus and has so remained.
The square is now the site of five buildings on the Baldwin-Wallace College Campus.
Citation: James D. Harvey, ed., "B-W's Historic Site," Pursuit 9, no. 1 (August 1976): 15.
Lyceum Village Square, an area of what is now the South Campus of Baldwin-Wallace, has been declared an historic site and will be included in the U.S. Department of Interior's Register of Historic Places. John Baldwin, later a founder of Baldwin-Wallace College, was one of three men to establish the Lyceum Community, a Christian settlement between 1836 and 1842 in the area now bounded by Marting, Dietsch, Kohler and Merner-Pfeiffer Halls.