Citation: "B-W Dedicates Malicky Center," Pursuit, vol.32, no.4 (Summer 2001): pg.1.
The Baldwin-Wallace community paused April 28 to honor B-W President Emeritus Neal Malicky and his wife Margi when the College dedicated its new and renovated facility for the social sciences. The Neal Malicky Center houses the programs for sociology, psychology, political science and neuroscience.
The $7 million project includes full renovations of Carnegie Hall and Philura Gould Baldwin Memorial Library, as well as the construction of a 17,000-square-foot classroom building to connect the two. In all, students and faculty now are benefitting from more than 46,000 square feet of new or renovated space for classrooms, laboratories and offices. The stately clock tower also provides a visual cornerstone to the North Quad.
The project was completed in two phases. Phase I, the renovation of Baldwin Library and construction of the new classroom building, was completed in January 2000. The renovation of Carnegie Hall was finished for classes this spring.
Speaking at the dedication ceremony, Malicky thanked all those who had made the facility a reality; trustees, donors, architects, faculty and administrators, as well as his family, who supported him throughout his presidency.
He concluded, "The liberal arts and sciences should be the liberating arts and sciences, liberating us from the darkness of fear and ignorance and enlightening us with understanding that both motivates individuals and moves societies.
"These are great goals. Nothing short of reaching such goals is acceptable. To ends such as these we dedicate this building, and for purposes such as these we carry on our work. I thank you deeply for the honor of the name you have placed on this building. I thank you even more for helping to fulfill these lasting purposes which we are called here to do.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
The Memorial Building (Marting Hall) was built in 1895-1896 as the new administration and classroom building for German Wallace College. The cornerstone had been laid September 25, 1895 and the building was dedicated on Tuesday, November 24, 1896. Wallace Hall had existed previous to the building of the newer administration building and served as the college's first administration building. It stood directly in front of the new building and was torn down after the Romanesque style building was completed. The land it was built on is part of the earlier Lyceum Square, which was founded as the Lyceum Village and Berea Seminary in 1837. The Architect was Godfrey Fugman, a member of the Cleveland company, C.S. Cramer.
It was formally dedicated on November 24, 1896 and was originally called the Memorial Building, in honor of those who had contributed to its construction. At that time the stone arch above the entrance was inscribed. It was renamed Marting Hall on October 27, 1938 to recognize the contributions and generosity of Dr. and Mrs. John C. Marting. Dr. Marting was an 1866 graduate and the college treasurer from 1895 to 1940, having worked with German Wallace College prior to the merger which he oversaw. During his time as treasurer, he oversaw the building of sixteen buildings and several money-raising campaigns. Marting and his wife donated more than $150,000 to the college. He also served as mayor of Berea for five years.
The hall was home to the President's office and Financial Agent. It also contained the main classrooms, general and Geological Laboratories, the Museum, the Seminary and Academy Libraries, and a gymnasium. The third floor had halls for five literary societies. These societies are the origins of the present panhellenic system at Baldwin-Wallace College. For many years, this building was a centerpiece for the college and community.
However on the morning of January 17, 1982, Marting Hall received extensive damage when cold weather and a power outage caused water pipes to freeze and break, resulting in flooding in the building, The walls and plaster were damaged, creating the danger of falling ceilings. The damage occurred over the weekend and was not found until Monday morning. There were 55 classes in four academic departments that had to be moved out of the building. The building was closed except for faculty, in hopes of reopening it by spring quarter. Many offices were moved to the Conservatory Annex. Three consulting firms were brought in to evaluate renovation possibilities. It was decided that the interior was in need of major work. There was even talk of replacing the damaged, but historic building was a new facility.
An extensive study was released in 1984 stating the exact condition of the building and the repairs that were needed. The facilities and mechanical systems inside also were assessed. It was determined that the inside walls and plaster work were in the greatest need of repair, although it was mostly cosmetic damage. In addition, each department's needs were considered when planning renovation. These departments included History, Philosophy, Religion, English, and Art History. At that time, the cost for repairs were estimated at $815,482. The college's increasing enrollment and persistence from President Malicky and community groups, the renovation was made a reality. In 1984, the college's largest funding campaign to date was begun. It was a three year, $15 million funding drive that would be used to renovate Marting Hall and other college buildings. This was part of a ten year campaign to raise $33 million.
Marting Hall stood empty and unused from 1982 until its renovation was completed in 1989. The restoration got underway in 1986, with a budget exceeding $2 million. The project was made possible through tax-free bonds from the Higher Education Facilities Commission that were to be paid back through donations. The renovation, was done by the Cleveland architectural firm of Van Dijk, Johnson, and Partners. Peter Van Dijk was the partner in charge of the renovation, who had received fame for Blossom Music Hall, E.J. Thomas Hall, and other designs and renovations throughout the country.
The new floor plan made more efficient use of the building. New plumbing and wiring were installed along with a computer-controlled energy system. An elevator was installed to provide access for the disabled. A writing lab, computer lab, and 100 person auditorium for multi-media presentations were also provided for in the hall. The stained glass windows, covered in an earlier renovation, were resorted, as well as the lounge on the first floor. Two enclosed, steel stairwells were added along with carpeting. The exterior was changed with the addition of an atrium on the second floor in the rear of the building. Much of the water-damaged interior was sacrificed, but the lobby, incorporating oak paneling and stained glass windows were restored, as was the stone exterior. When completed, the history department was moved back to Marting from Heritage Hall, and English department returned from north Hall. The departments of History, English, Religion, Philosophy, and Art History all returned from various places around campus, making Marting Hall the hub of the Humanities once again. The finished product totaled $3 million.
The rededication of Marting Hall took place on Friday, October 13, 1989. The restoration meant that the hall will remain a visible and beautiful fixture on the Berea skyline and a center of campus life at B-W. The ceremony was held on the front lawn by the steps, where the ribbon cutting occurred. The B-W Brass Choir played music from Marting Tower.
Memorial (Marting) Hall was added to the German Wallace campus in 1896. In the basement of the new building were hot baths. livery week the students were assigned times in which they were lo bathe. When Memorial Hall was being built a group of what is now the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity managed to sneak a box into the cornerstone of the edifice [sic]. In 1921, the fraternity announced that the box was in the cornerstone, but they did not disclose the contents of the carton. It remains Marting Hall's mystery.
Marting Hall – Perhaps the most recognizable building on campus, Marting Hall is home to the humanities disciplines, including the Art History, English, History, Philosophy and Religion departments. One of the most infamous ghosts on campus is rumored to haunt the second floor lounge. People have reported a ghostly figure among the ominous light emitted from the vending machines after hours, looking down out of the large windows. Other students have spotted faces jeering out of second and third floors late at night and lave reported hearing footsteps on the third floor during night classes, when there was allegedly nobody on the third floor.
There is an additional story associated with Marting which involves a senior prank gone horribly wrong. Several humanities majors reportedly blindfolded a cow and took her up to the copula on top of Marting. However, the soon discovered that cows cannot go down stairs backwards. The decided to slaughter the cow in the copula, and it now haunts Marting. Sometimes late at night, you can even hear some sad mooing.
Citation: James D. Harvey, ed., "Rare Books," Pursuit 9, no. 1 (August 1976): 10.
"It is a fortunate circumstance that colleges and universities have among the ranks of their alumni those individuals who, by reason of love for the institution and sincere interest in the welfare of the students, give lavishly of their means, their interest and devotion."*
Dr. Paul O. Mayer, Class of 1925, exemplifies the type of individual who is interested in the life of his alma mater. He has given in his name and that of his wife, Josephine, his entire collection of 233 rare publications of the Limited Editions Club.
The gift volumes are now housed in the Paul and Josephine Mayer Rare Book Room on the second floor of Ritter Library. Other rare book collections of the College will be also placed in this room.
A dedication ceremony was held for the new room on Sunday, May 23, when W. Alwyn Ashburn, professor of libraries and materials and professor of English, presided. Participants were Dr. A. B. Bonds, Jr., B-W president; Theo Moll, vice chairman of the B-W Board of Trustees; and Dr. George Maciuszko, director of Ritter Library.
In the catalogue of the Paul and Josephine Mayer Collection of Limited Editions, prepared under the direction of Professor Ashburn and Dr. Maciuszko, a description is given of the Limited Editions Club and its books.
"Among the numerous book clubs that have been formed since 1920, the Limited Editions Club is unique. The magnificent series of specially printed world classics which have been issued continuously since 1929 constitutes the most ambitious effort to produce the finest examples of printing, binding, illustrations and papermaking since the day of Aldus Manutius in Italy and the Elzevirs in Holland."* Fifteen hundred copies were printed of each book.
The oldest of the 233 works listed in the catalogue is a 1935 edition of Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Saw There, by Charles Dodgson. The illustrations were done by John Tennie! in the book bound in blue leather stamped in gold. The original Alice, Alice Hargreaves, signed the book.
The other volumes date from 1954. The books, all classics, have been covered to fit their stories. For example, Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men is done in dark blue denim trimmed with rust leather. Sir Arthur Sullivan's The First Night Gilbert and Sullivan is bound in one-fourth crimson velvet with gold scrollwork on green leather. Samuel Clemens' The Prince and the Pauper is bound in gray linen and royal blue velvet. Jack London's The Call of the Wild is bound in the green and black wool plaid of a lumberjack's shirt.
Dr. Mayer has provided for his personal subscription to the Limited Editions to continue, with all subsequent volumes as they are issued to come to Ritter Library.
"It is difficult to estimate the importance of such an outstanding gift. It is a particular pleasure for the director of Ritter Library, his staff, and all those who love fine books and who hold the study of the humanities to be a cornerstone of the educative process to accept these books for the use and pleasure of future generations of students."*
After graduating from Baldwin-Wallace, Paul Mayer attended the College's former Nast Theological Seminary before completing his B.D. degree in 1928 at Boston Theological Seminary. In 1940, Baldwin-Wallace conferred on him an honorary doctor of divinity degree.
Dr. Mayer has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 1948. During that time, he has rendered services of exceptional value to the College.
In 1969 he retired as pastor of the East Shore United Methodist Church of Euclid, Ohio, which he had served for 33 years.
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
McKelvy Hall is a lecture hall seating 200 students. It has facilities for chemistry and physics demonstrations and for movie presentations. While McKelvy Hall still serves as a science lecture hall, Wilker Hall is now home to the Political Science Department, which had been within the History Department until 1964. However, much of the classroom space is still used for chemistry and other sciences.
Citation: Albert L. Marting, ed., “Merner-Pfeiffer Hall,” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 17, no. 1 (1939): p. 5.
With the arrival on Saturday, January 7, of a check representing the first payment on a pledge of $100,000, for a new freshman dormitory, another much needed Baldwin-Wallace project was definitely launched. Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer of New York City, elect Methodist lady, has included Baldwin-Wallace among the wonderful benefactions by which a number of Methodist colleges and organizations have benefitted. She has been bravely carrying on business affairs while nursing her husband, now ill for many months. The gift, of course, comes jointly from Mr. and Mrs. Pfeiffer as a mark of confidence in our Methodist institutions and in this case, Baldwin-Wallace in particular.
The new hall is to be erected on the south campus, among the trees, immediately east of music hall. With its completion and the hope for the remodeling of the old men's dormitory, the two will form companion buildings on this part of the campus. The new structure is to house sixty students and will be modern in all its appointments. It will be known as Merner-Pfeiffer Hall. Mrs. Pfeiffer's maiden name was Merner, she being a relative of Mrs. Thelma Merner Goldsword of the Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music.
Plans are practically completed for the building and bids will be immediately received. Work will be begun as soon as weather permits, which probably means about April 1, in the hope that the building will be ready for occupancy during the next school year. Wilbur J. Watson is consulting engineer with Mellenbrook and Foley as architects. All three are alumni of Baldwin-Wallace.
This generous gift meets a real need here. It is anticipated that the enrollment of men at the college will take a definite upward swing as a consequence, the housing facilities for men having been so very inadequate in recent years. The heartiest thanks of students, faculty and alumni go to Mr. and Mrs. Pfeiffer for their fine appreciation of Christian education and their readiness to help young people in these parts. Efforts will immediately be made to raise sufficient funds for the thorough renovation of the old dormitory.
The college gained another Tudor style dormitory in 1940 when Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer of New York turned over 1,000 shares of preferred stock to Baldwin-Wallace. This gift provided the payment of the final $40,000.00 needed for the building.
Over the years, Merner-Pfeffier has housed some 100 students each year serving sometimes as a men’s dorm and other times as a home for co-eds. However, the 1974-75 school year will find M-P doing duty as a classroom building for the Conservatory. The dorm will be redesigned to have practice rooms and office space. An enclosed bridge will connect M-P to Kulas Hall. The change in duty will come as a blessing for the overcrowded conservatory.
Facing Kohler Hall is Merner-Pfeiffer Hall. Originally constructed as a men's dormitory in 1940 Merner-Pfeiffer was reconverted during World War II as a women's residence. The building, which now houses the administrative office of the Conservatory of Music, was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer.
Phase I of the renovation of Merner-Pfeiffer Hall is nearing completion, and the remodeled facility will be opened in early September, according to James Harvey, vice president for administration.
The former residence hall is now scheduled to become part of the Conservatory of Music. Construction on the remodeling began during the last academic year.
The basement and first floor of M-P constitutes Phase I on the total renovation project. Both of these floors have been changed substantially in interior structure, as well as completely carpeted and air conditioned. The cost was near $300,000.
All the offices of the Conservatory, as well as the Bach Library will be on the first floor. The Music Library, which includes the listening library and book binding room, will be contained in the basement.
Phase II of the renovation project involves remodeling the second and third floors. At the present time, the student lounge and two trial practice rooms have been completed on the second floor and will be opened in Sept. In addition a new rear entrance, which faces the Conservatory, has been added.
Construction on the second and third floors has been halted pending further planning and negotiation of funding. The original plans call for the building of practice rooms and studios. No change in these blueprints has been announced.
The first floor of Kulas Musical Arts Building will be converted into studios, while second floor studios be changed into practice rooms
Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.
Merner-Pfeiffer Hall was built on Seminary Street, on the south campus, just behind Kulas Hall. The hall was dedicated in a service on May 17, 1940. Mellenbrook, Folley, and Scott were the architects, and Wilber Watson & Associates was the consulting engineer for the brick and stone building. The cost for building the hall totaled $120,000.
The building was designed with a main section and a wing forming an "L" shape, with three stories and a basement. The wing includes a reception room and a suite for the house director. Its double an single rooms were designed to accommodate sixty-three freshman men. The basement housed a general dining room, a private dining room, and a game room. The increasing enrollment of the college made the building a necessity. Although the hall was intended for men, it was used to house women during World War II.
The donors for the hall were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer, of New York City. Mr. Pfeiffer, who gave $120,000, was a philanthropist who gave much money to aid many Methodist colleges. He was president of William R. Warner pharmaceutical company, director of Richard Hudnut cosmetic firm, and director of many other corporations. He was active in the manufacture of chemicals and drugs, with factories throughout America and fifteen foreign countries. Mr. and Mrs. Pfeiffer had also given money to support the Methodist Colleges for Negroes, with annual donations of $50,000. Henry Pfeiffer died two days after the announcement of the gift to Baldwin-Wallace. Mrs. Pfeiffer was present at the dedication of Merner-Pfeiffer Hall. Mrs. Pfeiffer's maiden name was Merner, resulting in that part of the name.
In 1976, the hall was transformed into an annex to the Kulas Musical Arts Building. It was dedicated F1iday, November 19, 1976 as the Conservatory Annex. In 1972, the conservatory's 75th year, $480,000 was raised to renovate Merner-Pfeiffer Hall. $150,000 was received from the Kulas Foundation. It now houses the Riemenschneider Bach Institute, the Bach Library, a manuscript, music library, a lounge, music studios, practice rooms, listening laboratories, and offices. In 1980, the second floor of Merner-Pfeiffer was refurbished to house the Musical Therapy Department.