Tau Beta Sigma, the national women's band honorary, operates exclusively in the field of college bands. Members are chosen for outstanding musicianship, character, scholarship, and personality. The purpose of the organization is to foster the interest of college bandswomen and to contribute to the maintenance of a high caliber of musical achievement. Kathy Gadus is President of the organization, and Dr. Snapp is the Faculty Advisor of the group.
Theta Alpha Phi serves a twofold purpose in the field of college dramatics. In the first place it is a national honorary dramatic fraternity composed of professional men and women of outstanding ability in dramatics. Consequently membership is considered as a reward for faithful service and participation. The other purpose is to foster good play productions by using every talent and ability at its command. Ohio Beta Chapter of Theta Alpha Phi has reached both of these goals this year by awarding membership to an outstanding few and by supervising the fine productions of the Dramatic Club.
Up to the year 1868, only one society for men existed in this school. In the Spring of 1868, however, it was thought expedient to found a new society. Twenty-two gentlemen united themselves, as they expressed it, "To cultivate themselves, both socially and morally, by literary contributions, and to develop the talents bestowed upon them by a benevolent power." At the end of this period it was thought best to have the society incorporated as a legal body. Accordingly, the Society was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio in 1875.
Due to the early opposition which the Society met, a fraternal, rather than a literary spirit became the prime motive of the organization. It was deemed advisable to supplant the old name by adopting the Greek symbols Sigma Phi. The new name was unanimously adopted and in 1919 was incorporated under the laws of Ohio. This was the first Greek-letter organization on the campus. Prior to this time, the administration required that all men attending school should live in college dormitories. In 1920 this rule was discarded and Sigma Phi was the first fraternity to secure a home. The furnishings of this home were paid for by a dramatic production which was given a number of years and taken on the road in 1924.
For several years Sigma Phi had been considering the question of National Fraternities and when the Board of Trustees welcomed them to the campus of B-W, this local was ready for the new institution. Accordingly, on the nineteenth of February, 1926, Sigma Phi became Ohio Beta Chapter of Theta Kappa Nu, the first National on the campus.
For the last two years, Theta Kappa Nu has prospered both here at B-W and among the half-a-hundred other chapters. She has been a leader in activities and has been steadily gaining in scholarship. A new chapter in our history will be written this summer when Ohio Beta is host to the Grand Chapter. The convention will be held here and in Cleveland. A great many of the brothers are expected to attend, and this will advertise B-W among the other schools of the country.
Since the year of its inception, our history has been one of continuous and steady growth. The ideals and traditions of our pioneer brothers of the Schillers and Sigma Phi are now inculcated in the spirit of Theta Kappa Nu.
The founders, the members of the old Schiller Society, were always together according to the old "grads.” They roomed together in the dormitory. They organized under the name of the Schiller Verein, and were incorporated under the Laws of Ohio in 1875. They held their meetings in their chapter room on the third floor of the Administration Building, and this same place of meeting was kept until September 1929, at which time they were asked to move by college order to make room for the sororities. At present the old chapter room is occupied by the sister sorority, Beta Sigma Omicron. Our meetings, during the remainder of 1923 were held in our fraternity house, then at 222 Beech Street.
The symbols "Sigma Phi" were incorporated under the laws of Ohio in 1919, and Sigma Phi became the first organization of the campus tu adopt the Greek Letter symbols, as well as having the previous honor of being the first literary society on the campus. A year later (1920), the college rule compelling all men attending Baldwin-Wallace to live in in the dormitory was discarded because of congested conditions there.
The Sigma Phi's secured quarters at the present location of the Hathaway Motor Company, becoming the first fraternity on the campus to have a house. Some time after that the Sigma Phi’s moved into a house at Fifth and Front Streets. In the Fall of 1923 they moved into a house owned by the college at 81 Beech Street (now occupied by the Zeta Kappa Fraternity). This new house was located right on the campus near the Administration Building.
Again Sigmi Phi started something new by becoming the first national fraternity on the campus. Sigma Phi became Ohio Beta Chapter of Th6ta Kappa Nu Fraternity on January 19, 192G. This event "cut the ice" for the other organizations, Ohio Beta is recognized as one of the oldest organizations included in Theta Kappa Nu Fraternity.
In the fall of 1927, Ohio Beta moved to 222 Beech Street because of the rapid growth of numbers living in the house. Soon after this the movement for a building a permanent home for Ohio Beta was started. The Alumni of the organization organized, and soon became very activte in accumulating funds for the project. By June 1929 the necessary funds for starting the structure were accumulated, and during commencement week the "ground breaking" took place, at which time many of the alumni were present to participate in the ceremonies. Soon after that, the contract for erecting the new house was awarded to L. T. Blackman of Berea. The work began in earnest about August 1. By the opening of school in September the house was already several feel above the ground level. The weather permitted the builders a good chance to work fairly steady. By the first week in January the “boys" moved into the new house.
The new house has been furnished in keeping with its colonial type of architecture. The furnishing are very substantial yet very attractive in appearance. The Ohio Beta Mother's Club have aided their sons by adding touches to the new house such as only feminine hands can.
The members of the building committe were: Dr. J. C. Marting, college representative; Dr. E. C. Unnewehr, alumni representative; and Robert Lechner, then Archon of Ohio Beta, fraternity representative. These men cannot realize the magnitude of their services to the Fraternity nor how much the fellows appreciate their labors. Among the others who worked hard on the new house project are: Professor H. T. Ficken, Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Matthews and Mr. Hagenmeyer.
In celebration of the opening of the new house, Theta Kappa Nu is having a House Warming from February 14th to 22nd.
The Ohio Beta Chapter of Theta Kappa Nu fraternity was established on the nineteenth of February, 1926. Before becoming a national fraternity, this organization was known as the Schiller Literary Society, the founding of which took place in the spring of the year 1868 while the college was still Baldwin University. In 1920 the old college rule that all men attending the school must live in the dormitory was discarded and the Schillers, known now as Sigma Phi, were the first fraternity to secure a house. The house now occupied, which was also the first fraternity house to be built on this campus, was erected in the year 1928.
Although young, Theta Tau Delta has already quite a history. Originally this sorority was organized as the Calumet Club in 1931. Just a year later they affiliated with national Sigma Sigma Delta Sorority. In 1939 Eta Chapter of Baldwin-Wallace withdrew and became a local sorority, taking its new name Theta Tau Delta.
The year began auspiciously when we tore up the room for our "circus" party-peanuts, etc., everywhere. Then there was the annual powder-puff party, and the picnic at the Rocks. When our room was finally completely redecorated, after months of cleaning, painting, and shopping, we celebrated the event by entertaining our alumnae at a tea. On this same occasion, since our alumnae were still members of the former national chapter, we initiated them formally into Theta Tau Delta. Other socially successful events of the year were our Snow Ball Dance in January, our Mother-Daughter Banquet in place of our annual March Dance-it's fun to meet that oft-spoken-of "Mom" of your sorority sister-and our spring formal at the Cleveland Club, with Ellen Wright as toastmistress.