Science Seminar is the nucleus for the progressive spirit of science at Baldwin-Wallace and provides a vision of the ever growing accomplishments of science to those interested in such subjects. It is an inspiration to Freshmen and Sophomores who admire the Seminar and hope to live up to its high standards and so in their Junior or Senior year be admitted to membership. Prospects must be elected unanimously by the faculty members before student membership is allowed.
The Science Seminar holds eight meetings per year, one of which is devoted to students, two to the faculty, and the remainder to outstanding men of science.
The spirit of scientific progress is fostered on the campus by the group known as the Science Seminar. Besides its monthly meetings, which are open to all students, the organization sponsors chapel programs and, yearly, a lecture by an outstanding guest speaker.
Members include the faculty of the various science departments and upperclassmen elected on a basis of scholastic ability and interest in science. In addition to regular programs featuring faculty or student lectures, the more informal, but equally enjoyable "hamburger fries", under the management of the chemistry department, are fast becoming an established custom. The seminar group has for its purpose the further development of interest in science and scientific research among students known to be gifted in such studies, and keeping the pulse of today's rapid advancement in scientific events.
In an old notebook appears the following: "On October 9, 1915, Professors Unnewehr, Speckman, Dustheimer, and Fullmer met and decided to organize a scientific society. Professor Unnewehr was chosen president, and Professor Fullmer, secretary."
These are the minutes of the first meeting of the Science Seminar which has grown to be one of the most active departmental clubs. It is now celebrating its silver jubilee year.
Among the charter members were Professors Frederick Cramer, 0. L. Dustheimer, E. L. Fullmer, and Emory Unnewehr.
One of the first students recommended for membership and elected November 9, 1915 was Paul Baur, well-liked mathematics professor here.
The standards of the seminar have not changed greatly since that time. Members are: the faculty members of the science, mathematics, and philosophy departments, the student assistants in those departments, and those juniors and seniors who have been elected to membership by the professors. Dr. Unnewehr presided as president last year.
Citation: "History of the Sigma Phi (Schiller) Literary Society," 1920-21 Grindstone, pages 126-129.
Up to the year 1868, only one society existed for gentlemen in this school. In the spring of 1868, however, it was thought expedient to found a new society; the Germania society having become too large. For this purpose the following men came together to found a new society: Oldenhage, Steinhage, Schneider, Nagler, Bockstahler, Horst, Bibighauser, Hiller, and Graessle. These gentlemen united themselves, as they expressed it, "To cultivate themselves, both socially and morally, by literary contributions, and to develop the talents bestowed upon them by a benevolent power."
After much debating over a name appropriate for the new society, it was decided to name it after the great German poet, Fredrich von Schiller. The society was open to any student of G. W. C. or B. U. who presented a good moral character. The constitution was written both in German and English, and works were brought in either of these languages.
The Schiller society assembled from its beginning in the old brick building which stood where the present Memorial Hall now stands. But their hall was by no means so inviting and pleasant as it has since become. It was in an abode fitter for bats and owls than for a literary society. The walls were bare, the floor in a delapidated condition, the ceiling so deficient that, to use the words of an old Schiller Brother, "We would crowd around the stove with our umbrellas open to prevent the rain drenching us." Such was the condition of our Brothers. It was often said of the Schillers that they were wild and ungodly. The ministers of the different Conferences, especially, were active in scattering such reports, and persuading young men coming here not to join the Schiller Society. The fact that our members were not strictly theologians, but gave more attention to the natural sciences and to mathematics was styled "Ungodly." But that the Schillers were not so wicked as generally represented by the ministers appears from the fact that all but two of the Founders of the Schiller Society became ministers in the Methodist Conferences; one of the remaining two (Mr. Steinhage) became a minister in the Lutheran Church, and the other (Dr. J. Schneider) became a noted physician of Cleveland.
During the period 1868 to 1875 little is known of the activities of the Society except that tremendous difficulties were placed in its way by members of the Faculty and others. At the end of this period it was thought best to have the Society incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio. Accordingly the Society was incorporated as a Legal body in 1875. This enabled the Society to seek redress, by law, in case of emergency.
The Schiller Society and the Mother Society were not always on the best of terms. It would be nonsense to recall now the causes of these differences, which were often carried to the extreme by both parties. The two societies, however, often entertained each other in former years, and during the past few years have been most friendly in their relations with each other. With the Althean and Clionian Societies of Baldwin University the Schillers have from the first been very friendly. Our records bear testimony of the good will each had for the other, and some of the happiest hours of the Schillers Bro's were spent in the company of these Societies.
In the year 1875 there arose a heated controversy between the members of the Society and the Faculty over the placing of curtains on the Society Room stage, and over the presentation of dramas at the Society's literary programs. It was regarded as unchristianlike to present dramas, and the Society was often referred to as "The Theatre." So bitter became the controversy that to openly acknowledge membership was to invite disgrace. During this period the friendship of the Clionian and the Althean Societies was stronger than ever before, and our records are free in their acknowledgement of its value in the most trying years of the Societies' history.
On September 16, 1896, the Societies drew lots for the rooms in the present Memorial Bldg. A committee, W. Jend, D. Beck, W. MArting, A. Kloksiem, and A. Underlick, had charge of the preparation of the room. At this time the justly famous Schiller quartette earned hundreds of dollars, which were used in decorating the room. The quartette consisted of Jend Beck, Kloksiem, and Haas. At one of the combined Orchestra and Quartette concerts $225 were realized. This period, until the year 1908, was the most prosperous of the Society's history. During that time the membership of the Society varied from about twenty to thirty-eight members, and the Society was held in high esteem, by all connected with the institution, for its splendid literary and social activities. From 1908 to 1911 the membership decreased until in the autumn of 1910 there were only five members to take up the work of the Society. From that time until this the Society has remained prosperous. Recent years contain a long list of members who were recognized leaders in the school. Who does not remember such men as Wood, Wesley, Speckmann, Bowser, Koehnemann, Ficken, Pfiefer, Tubbesing, Gensemer, any many others?
On May 6, 1917, one month after war was declared, nine of our men left school and departed for overseas service where they remained until early in the summer of '19. Many other members of the Society left soon afterward and served our country well during the period of the war. - We pause here to pay tribute to our Brother Lewis C. Wood, scholar, philosopher, friend. Man of more noble soul was never student here, and we are proud to say of him: "He was a Schiller." Wood lies buried in Belgium, where he fell under the fierce fire of the German Archies. His memory will linger forever with us who knew and loved him.
The war period dealt harshly with the school, as with all Colleges, and it was to be taken as a matter of course that the Society, too, would suffer. But not so. Last autumn found the Society filled with strong capable men. Early in the present year the name of Sigma Phi was adopted. Schiller traditions still live in the spirit of the Society, and it has been an exceedingly prosperous year.
The Social Board worked hard the past year in attempting to reorganize the social program on the campus so that the social functions would be of real value to each and every student. It was the hope of the Social Board to present parties and entertainments on our own campus. Handicapped by the lack of a social hall, this board made good use of the college gymnasium. For the Christmas Holiday Frolic the gymnasium was transformed into the land of the far north. Many white icicles and a blue sky with stars glimmering through gave the frolic an atmosphere that will long be remembered.
During our successful basketball season, the Board sponsored All-College Dances after the home games. These were enthusiastically supported by everyone. The best feature of these dances was the small admission price charged.
The Social Science Club has as its purpose the extention of student knowledge in the fields of history, sociology, and economics. This result has been primarily achieved by having authorities in some profession discuss the problems of that field. Meetings are held once a month, and formerly speakers have covered a wide variety of subjects.
In order that more might be accomplished, the club recently has chosen one topic, that of labor and unions, as a field for special consideration. Each speaker who has been chosen is closely connected with some phase of union or antiunion work. Teachers' unions, women's place in unions, and labor are typical examples of questions discussed.
The club members feel that greater results have already been achieved by the new method, and that if interest continues at its present height, the Social Science Club will be one of the leading organizations on the campus.
The Society for the Advancement of Management (S.A.M.) is an organization reactivated on the Baldwin-Wallace campus two years ago. S.A.M. strives to orientate students as well as the community to the business world. The Baldwin-Wallace Chapter is an affiliate of the American Management Association, a national professional organization of managers in industry, commerce, government, and education. The Baldwin-Wallace campus chapter has a membership of resident, commuter, full time, part time, day, and night students. S.A.M. offers any student an opportunity to practice principles of management, either on a personal basis or business level. There are several ways in which the Baldwin-Wallace chapter stresses the importance of business. They use seminars, panel discussions, career counseling, research, plant tours and guest speakers to familiarize students to the facts that they must 1) expand their knowledge, 2) practice leadership skills, 3) present and solve problems from everyday life, 4) be exposed to future employers, and 5) get personal satisfaction out of the work they are doing. These are necessary if the student is to be successful in the world of business or related fields.
In 1978, S.A.M. presented a number of different programs in an effort to strengthen the particular goal listed. They wanted to assist students in other disciplines by making it possible for anyone to attend their functions.
Citation: Bernard J. Oliver Jr., “Sociology Department Activities and Aims,” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 26, no. 3 (1948): pp. 8 & 19.
The Sociology Club under the sponsorship of the sociology department has had a full program this past academic year including two field trips, one, to the Lorain County Jail under the direction of Sheriff Finnigan of Lorain County; and, another, all day field trip under the direction of Mr. Arnold B. Walker head of the Urban League of Cleveland, to the Negro communities of that city. The first field trip was participated in by fifty students. It included an examination of the cell blocks in the jail and explanation of how records were kept by the sheriff's office; also motion pictur.es of the F. B. I. and the work of the sheriff's office. In May, sixty-five students took part in the field trip to the Negro communities. The students visited the slum areas as well as the improved public housing areas such as the Carver Housing Project on Unwin Road. Other points of interest included a visit to the office of the Call Post newspaper (the leading Negro newspaper of Ohio) and the Phyllis Wheatley Foundation, perhaps the leading social agency of the Negro communities. Prominent leaders connected with the Urban League, the Call Post newspaper, Future Outlook League, and the Phyllis Wheatley Foundation, discussed with the students leading problems that Negroes face in Cleveland, and indicated improvements which might be made.
The Sociology Club attended two social conferences. A Minority College Student Conference at Ohio State University where Baldwin-Wallace College with twenty other schools in Ohio f o r m e d the Ohio Conference for Educational Democracy, to help alleviate discrimination against minorities on college campuses. Also, the sociology students attended Gilbert Applehof's Institute on Family Relations at St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Berea, at which outstanding marriage counsellors and experts of the family, of the Cleveland area, held classes.
The Sociology Club has had some outstanding speakers as guests at its semi-monthly meetings, including John J. Mayer, Boys' Referee of the Juvenile Court of Cleveland; Mrs. Hazel Jackson, head of Marriage Consultation at the Maternal Health Association of Cleveland, and Sheldon Granger, field industrial secretary of the Urban League of Cleveland.
Some of the Sociology Club members are interested in doing special research projects this summer and are receiving college credit for their research papers. Mr. Julio Vivas, president of the Sociology Club, is working in a mental institution in Ocean Grove, New Jersey and is writing a paper on this mental hospital as a social institution; Miss Dorothy Jacobsen, interested in the possibility of going into Public Health Social Work, is doing research on public health in Cleveland; Mr. Mario Soria, a Latin American student, is attending a summer school of outstanding social scientists in New l\1exico and is to write a paper on "The Sociological Bases for World Peace"; and Miss Jacqueline Johnson, interested in becoming a psychiatric social worker, is writing a paper on Psychiatry Social Work."
The Sociology Club of Baldwin-Wallace also tries to be of use to the community. For example, at the request of The Berea News, weekly newspaper of Berea, some of the sociology club members conducted, under the supervision of the newspaper and sociology department, a survey of the traffic light situation in the center of the city. The number of cars going in twelve possible directions at the main intersection were counted over a four-day period during various times of the day. It was found that the timing of the traffic light was very, defective, as there is three times as much traffic going from east to west as there is going from north to south, and the light is timed the same for each direction. As a result of this survey, a correction of the situation is forthcoming.
Thus, the sociology department has attempted to get students out of the ivory tower of books and theories through a first-hand study of local social conditions. There is no doubt that a field trip can accomplish many things which would not be possible by merely studying textbooks; social concern and social responsibility cannot be learned from a textbook. Each year an attempt is made to visit representative minority groups so that students may have a better understanding of America's diverse people.
Also, an effort is made to have authoritative experts as speakers at club meetings. Independent social research is encouraged on the part of students in their particular interests. The department believes firmly in the cooperation of town and college for the mutual betterment of both and seeks to aid the community in which it resides.
Citation: Dwight L. Dumond, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1921), pp. 153-156.
On October 1, 1918 an infantry unit of the S.A.T.C. was organized at Baldwin-Wallace ColIege, and since that time military training has remained an interesting and not unprofitable part of the curriculum. Many of the two hundred men who were enrolled in the S.A.T.C., did not remain in College after the disbanding of that organization in December, but all take a great deal of pleasure in relating the experiences of those few months. · Military life lingers in the memory of an ex-soldier as visions of experiences both pleasant and unpleasant. Hikes? Yes we had them (one to Olmsted Falls in particular). Barrack life, and hospital, too, threatened courtmartials with blue discharges, and what not-in a few short months.
But seriously, the friendships formed, the associations together in a common environment, the discipline, etc., can not be overestimated in .value derived by those men who were here.
A College education is intended to furnish men with an equipment that will enable them to become leaders in the various social activities, and in that the Colleges have not failed. Recognizing that fact, the War Dep't has attempted thru the R.O.T.C. to equip College men for leadership in times of war as well as in time of peace. In that the R.O.T.C. at Baldwin- Wallace has been very successful. To discuss the advisability of the continuation of the course at Baldwin-Wallace would only be to invite bitter controversy.
Military Training has been a pleasant and profitable experience to many of us, and no one regrets the time spent in the course.
One of the fundamental principles of higher education is the development of the power of self-government. A man who, while at college, has not learned to curb and control his emotions, to be his own master, has acquired anything but the all-round education for which he strove. It was with the idea of fostering this spirit of self-control that the Student Assembly was first organized. The powers of this body have expanded with each year until, at the present time, it controls practically every student activity. The Assembly is the Court of Last Resort for all matters concerning the student body, and its decisions are necessarily final. This organization gives an opportunity for every man, be he Senior, Junior, Sophomore, or Frosh, to express his view on any subject which vitally interests him. However, the principal feature of the Assembly's usefulness lies in its supervision of athletics. All under-graduate managers are selected by it, and to this body, in conjunction with a Committee from the Faculty, are they responsible. This gives the average student a close touch with the athletic management, which he would not otherwise receive. The "student activity ticket," supervised by the Assembly, admits every student to all college athletic contests, and thus many otherwise unpleasant features of mismanagement are eliminated. The will of the Assembly as the voice of the student body is a power that is felt in every department of the College.
The Student Assembly is an organization of all the collegiate students. Its purpose is the controlling of all the student activities and working with the faculty in supervising college affairs which pertain to student life.
This year it has had charge of such activities as: debating, oratory, athletics, choosing the editor of the college paper, and all similar matters.
As the executive committee of the Assembly the Council serves in a twofold capacity. It acts as an advisory board to the Assembly, discussing matters before they are brought to the attention of the entire student body, and also serves as a committee for the students in case anything arises which concerns both the students and the Faculty. The Council is elected by the Assembly, and consists of its officers and five members-at-large.
The Student Council consists of the officers of the Student Assembly and five members at large, elected by the Assembly. Its purpose is to take charge of all minor business and consider new matters to come before the Assembly.
The student government body at Baldwin-Wallace College is the Student Senate. This group of students is elected to their offices by fellow students and some take their jobs just as seriously as if they were United States Senators. This group serves as the link between the College administration and the student body. Senate is responsible for conveying the thoughts of their peers to the administration. In time of conflict, Senate must formulate a compromise beneficial to both the students and the College.
Those elected to Senate must become acquainted with lobbying techniques, as bills on the floor are discussed. Financial and accounting skills are important since Senate decides how much funding recognized organizations will be al located from the General Fee.
Each Senator is a member of a particular standing committee representing various facets of the Baldwin-Wallace College community. Each committee has a chairman. In 1977-78, they were: Liese Schirch, Academic Committee; Kelly Harris, Rules Committee; Janet Spears, Elections Committee; Julie Pek, Social Affairs; and Larry Yungk, Finance Committee.
Each committee is responsible for dealing with the background information of bills assigned to the committee before they come to vote on the floor. They are also responsible to the student body President and Vice President for overseeing certain matters pertaining to individual committees. The 1977-78 student body President was Alan Blumenthal and the Vice President was Russ Meraglio. Both did a fine job of fulfilling their respective obligations. Thomas Cook served as Treasurer.
Student Senate is the official representative body of the students which serves as a liaison with the college administration and distributes funds from student activities fees to recognized clubs, groups and organizations, such as, publications. The Constitution and Bylaws of Student Senate are the working documents under which student government at Baldwin-Wallace is constituted.
Debbie Danson worked for the Students as the Student Body President, and Mark Wagner headed the Senate as Vice President. Rebecca Sprano was Treasurer and Tracy Nagel was Secretary. Charles Burke and Sandra Estanek served as advisors to the Student Senate.
Over the past year, Senate has developed a sound elections procedure, created an efficient system for budgeting, and has recognized the need for students to get more involved in Senate organizations, among other accomplishments. This year's Senate was the largest in the history of 8-W.
Student Senate strives to represent all facets of the student body through thirty-one Senate funded organizations.