Most of the College Union's activities ware in what was called the Recreation Building. This barracks erected at the corner of Grand and Maple Streets was the Army's recreation building during the Second World War. This wooden building was last used by the Theatre Department until it was demolished in ‘72.
But the buzzing of activity was in the hive of those days named the "boiler room", despite efforts to name it the "Nast-nac." It was formerly the boiler room for Marting Hall. The most popular addition in 1948 was a room, opening off the main lounge where smoking was permitted, Robert W. Pitcher, dean of students during the early 60’s, and Frank Nolfka, former director of student activities conceived the idea of a new College Union Building. Keith Briscoe became director of the College Union and Student Activities during the planning of the layout structure.
Sutdents found themselves shoveling dirt at the groundbreaking ceremony in October 1963. Construction began and the corner stone was laid a year later on Founder’s Day.
The building opened in September 1965 with a complete staff, some of whom still remain. Among them are: Larry Hunt, Building Engineer; Kate McEwen, Business Manager; Erma Taylor, Bookstore; Dick Kamman, Games Area Manager; Pat Cirigilans, Barber; and Houston Chambert, Food Service.
On Founder's Day in 1965, the building was dedicated in an afternoon ceremony with a Dedication Banquet following.
This year marks the twelfth anniversary of the ground breaking ceremony.