Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Encyclopedia of Baldwin Wallace University History: Campus Locations - S

An Index of Historical Content and Their Sources

Safety and Security Office

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The offices of Safety and Security, formerly housed in Bonds, was moved in 1991. It was relocated at 296 Beech St., otherwise known as the Tudor house. The move was to provide the department with more space, room for expansion, and more privacy. It was also hoped that the Tudor House would be easier for students to locate. The house was fo1merly the Ethel Tudor Management Home.

Saylor Hall

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

Saylor Hall is one of a pair of twin, Colonial-style dorms built to house men and women that flank the Lambda Chi Alpha House on Beech Street. Saylor, to the south of the LCA house, housed men while Klein Hall, to the north, was built for women. The buildings were built on south campus, with Klein located behind Dietsch and Saylor behind Marting Hall. The halls replaced Adams, Collier, Matthews, and Mattison Houses which were four large frame houses used to house students.

The architects for the buildings was D. M. Allison of the Leonard H. Krill construction Company of Cleveland and the price for construction of Saylor Hall was about $200,000 with the total cost for the two buildings being $400,000. Each building has room for 81 students and a hall (house) director. Safety was a factor as all-metal doors were installed in addition to the brick, metal, and steel materials used. The building has three floors with the first floor having one single room, four doubles and four triples. The second and third floors are identical, each having nine doubles and four triples. Since that time, the single has been eliminated to provide more living space for the hall director and the triples are being used as quads. The hall also has a lounge with a sandstone mantle, laundry facilities, as well as a quest bathroom in addition to a bathroom on each floor. All-metal furniture was provided including a bed, matching wardrobe and a combination desk-dresser and vanity with a matching chair. There were no dining hall provisions in the design of either building as students living in Saylor and Klein had their meals in larger dorms.

The make-up of Saylor and Klein Halls changed in 1978-1979, as the two halls became freshman halls housing both women and men in each. The two sororities in the building were moved to Constitution East. The halls were chosen because they are close to many central campus facilities and the floors are small enough to easily build a sense of community. The idea was to provide freshman an opportunity to adjust to college better, and to develop a greater sense of community. The residence hall staff must undergo special training in these areas to adequately provide these and other services. The hall was dedicated on Founder's Day, October 19, 1950. At that time the hall was dedicated as Saylor Hall, named in honor of donor Mr. and Mrs. Ray L. Saylor. Mr. Saylor, of Berea, was President of the Bagley Road Lumber Co. and was a member of the College Board of Trustees since 1945.

Smith Observatory

Citation: “Astronomy Dept. Plans Observatory,” The Exponent, October 21, 1921, p. 3.

Baldwin-Wallace College expects to have an observatory to house her 4 1/2 inch refracting telescope in the near future. The head of the Department of Astronomy hopes to have complete details for publication soon. Plans for the new building are being drawn by Professor Ernest G. Yalden of Leonia, N. J. Mr. Yalden has designed and built several small observatories in the past few years.

This building will be located on the north campus. The construction will be made of cement blocks lined with plasterboard. A sheet metal dome will be placed upon the cement block building. Some new astronomical instruments will be acceptable from friends of the college for our new observatory. 

Citation: “Observatory is Begun,” The Exponent, October 28, 1921, pp. 1 & 4.

Ground was broken for the Smith Observatory last Monday. The building will be completed as soon as possible and our equatorial mounted for observations.

The instructor and the class in Astronomy are very anxious to begin work of variable star observations. This work will be done under the direct supervision of the Harvard

(Continued on Page 4, Col. 4)

(Continued from Page 1)

Observatory. More detailed information in regard to the nature of this work will be published at a later date.

Professor Dustheimer will attend the tenth annual meeting of the American Association of Variable Star Observers, on Nov. 5. This meeting will be held at the Harvard Observatory.

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The Smith Observatory, located on north campus, was completed in February, 1922. The building was a small sandstone structure with a dome on top, housing a refracting telescope. The observatory included a Herschel Solar Eyepiece at $55, a Direction Vision Spectroscope at $80, a Negative Ocular at $10, a Photometer at $80, a Radium Star Map at $10, and a Astronomical Clock at $125. It was hoped that contributors would buy additional equipment. The observatory was designed by Professor Ernest Kaldean, who also prepared charts for the building.

Professor O.L. Dustheimer, working with the Harvard Observatory, collected data to be compared with other findings of the American Association of Variable Star Observers. The Astronomy classes at B-W were under the direction of Professor Dustheimer.

South Hall

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

Photo of Old South Hall. Source: Page 69, 1896 X Ray yearbook.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Located on the old Baldwin University campus, South Hall was one of the first buildings on the campus of Baldwin Institute. It was the first ladies' hall of the college, housing women students. The building was a the-story structure built of brick and sandstone with a two-story wooden addition. The hall's use came to an end when a fire destroyed the structure.

Strosacker College Union

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The Strosacker College Union. Source: radio.wosu.org. Click on image to enlarge.

The College Union is a Georgian Colonial structure topped with a replica tower of the House of Burgesses in Williamsburg, Virginia. It was designed by Heine, Crider, and Williamson, of Berea and was constructed by the R. S. Ursprung Co. at a cost of $2,250,000. John Wadden of the Higbee Company was in charge of the interior decorating.

The groundbreaking was held on February 27, 1964 at 1 :00 p.m. and the cornerstone ceremony was held on Founder's Day, October 15, 1964. The contents if the box included the President's report to the Board of Trustees - October 1963, April 1964 and his address to the faculty, - September 1962, 1963. It also included letters from Dr. Carl Bechberger, Chairman of the Board of Trustees; Dr. John Sinnema, President of the National Alumni Association; Dr. Lucille E. Mercer, Senior Member of the faculty; Mrs. Paul W. Baldwin, President of Baldwin-Wallace Women's Club; John Kropf, President of Student Council; Professor Robert Cossaboom, Chairman of the College Union Executive Committee; Richard J. Geisler, Chairman of the Activities Board; Sys Strandess, Chairn1an of the College Union Committee of Student Council; Miss. Hellen Leon, Adviser to the College Union Committee and member of the College Union Executive Committee; Frank Noffke, College Union Director, 1962-1964; Heine , Crider, and Williamson, Architects; R.S. Ursprung, General Contractor; Dr. A. B. Bonds, to Dr. Charles J. Strosacker. Also included was a list of contributors to the College Union, a souvenir shovel from Groundbreaking Ceremonies, a photo of the College Union as it appeared then, Sidewalk Superintendent's card, College Union "Brick, two Student Activities manuals, College catalog, Grindstone, copy of the Exponent, Cleveland-Marshall Law Review, latest issue of "The Alumnus", Founder's Day program from October 15, 1964, and tokens from campus organizations present at the Groundbreaking Ceremonies. The Strosacker College Union was dedicated on October 14, 1965.

The main floor houses a large lounge at the main entrance, the Main Dining Hall or Ballroom, the Service Desk, the Hive snack bar, the Jacket Junction General Store, the President's Lounge, a faculty lounge, several meeting rooms including the Grindstone Room,, the I. D. Office, Food Service Office, and the Colony Room, which is a restaurant open to the public. Aside from serving meals during the day, the Ballroom is used at night for many of the college's large programs. The Service Desk sells candy, newspapers, and magazines.

On the lower level, the union contains the Bookstore, a barbershop, the Games Area, the Student Senate Offices and Chambers, a large meeting room called the Quarry Room, The Commuters Activities Board Offices, the Sandstone Conference Center, and the Wellness Resource Center. The bowling alley, which was an original feature of the facility, was replaced by the Sandstone rooms. A portion of the Games Area, containing pool tables, video games, and table tennis, was renovated in the summer of 1997, to make room for a "Cyber Cafe" in which students can enjoy coffee while searching on the Internet.

The second floor houses the office of Student Life in addition to the offices of many student organizations. These groups include the Exponent newspaper, the Grindstone yearbook, WBWC radio station, Campus Entertainment Productions, the Mill literary magazine, Greek organizations, and various other campus organizations. The area also contains the Persian Rug Area, two Commuter lounges with lockers and sofas, the Student Activities Office, several administrative Offices, and student organization mailboxes.

A distinctive feature of the building is the series of 20 bas reliefs that that line the walls of the east and west wings. The works unveiled in the summer of 1976, were the creation of Dr. Felix de Weldon, considered by many art experts as the most talented sculptor of this century. Each group of panels stands nine feet high and twenty-seven feet high, constructed of stone and placed on a shining black marvel base. The immortal figures of Eastern and western civilization depicted in the works include Columbus; Bach, Shakespeare, Voltaire; Michelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael; Constantine; Caesar Augustus; Saint Peter; Christ; Saint Paul; Plato and Socrates; Moses; Tolstoy; Hammurabi; Gandhi; Confucius; Buddha; Washington, Jefferson, and Bolivar; and contributions from Egypt, Arabia, Persia, and Pre-Columbian America. Each section includes a quotation of or about the person depicted. This was the first work the internationally acclaimed sculptor did for a college. Dr. A. B. bonds, Jr., B-W President was a friend of Dr. de Weldon dating back to their years in the Navy in World War II. de Weldon is best known for the Marine Corps Monument of the flag raising at Iwo Jima, which stands in Washington D. C. He has thirty-three other major works in the capital, as well as in England, Mexico City, Paris, Tokyo, and around the globe. Dr. de Weldon was honored in 1964 with an honorary doctor of humanities degree from Baldwin-Wallace.

A government loan of $1,250,000, and gifts from foundations, corporations, trustees, faculty, staff, alumni, students, parents and friends all contributed to the funding of the project. The largest single gift to the College Union came from the foundation established by Dr. Strosacker.

The College Union was named in memory of Dr. Charles J. Strosacker, a fom1er student, and life-long friend, trustee, and benefactor of Baldwin-Wallace. He remained active in the life of the college until his death at age 80 on March 27, 1963. A native of Valley City, Ohio, he was a leader in the chemical industry and was vice-president of the Dow Chemical Company in Midland, Michigan. He began as in the company's analytical laboratories and many of Dow's significant developments can be traced to his genius. He was a trustee since 1946, and established an annual Strosacker Award of $1,000 for excellence in teaching. Baldwin-Wallace awarded him an honorary doctorate of science degree in 1949.

Student Activities Center

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

Formerly the Women's Gymnasium, the building was built in 1911. The building was used as a campus party center and intramural gymnasium for several years before it was remodeled. In 1988 a committee was established to determine the fate of the former gym. It was determined that students wanted an attractive, central activities center, and in July of 1989, work began on the renovation. The reconstruction and redecoration was completed in January, 1990 at a cost of $200,000. Approximately 600 students turned out for the January 19, 1990.

The main floor (basketball court) includes a stage, dance floor, table space, and food service area, featuring buffalo wings, nachos, pop and , foods of that nature. The second floor former track area was intended to be used as the "21 Club", where beer could be served on occasion. The area has seats and tables and can serve as balcony seating for stage events. The facility, which can accommodate 350 people, was equipped with a complex dance-light, sound and video system. A 10' by 12' video screen is located at the front of the SAC and is popular for movies and sporting events.

The SAC is used as an all-purpose programming center for B-W. Comedians, live bands, disk jockeys, wing night, dances, and Monday Night football are SAC attractions. Many groups reserve the SAC for dinners, banquets, and many other special events.

In addition, the basement was renovated following the rest of the building. It houses the Audio-Visual Department of B-W.

Sun Dials Pedestal

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The pedestal was dedicated to the memory of Professor Julius O. Berr, professor of German Literature and music at German Wallace College, by his student friends. It was made of Berea sandstone and cut by James Keir, class of 1916, a B-W graduate and stone cutter. He was in immigrant of Scotland, who earned his way by working in the quarries. The pedestal was located on the walkway in front of Marting Hall.

Swimming Pool

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The swimming pool attached to the rear of the gymnasium was dedicated February 23, 1944. The architects for the pool were Mellenbrook, Foley, and Scott, who presented the structure to President Louis C. Wright, Fred A. Crossman, chairman of the Board of Trustees, and Coach Ray Watts. The five-lane indoor swimming pool was 25 by 60 feet in dimension and 4 to 11 feet deep. The overall size of the building was 54 by 88 feet. It was built at a cost between $40,000 and $50,000. The was also 3' and 10' diving boards. The pool was built entirely with college funds for the men in the V-12 Navy Program. After the war, the pool served B-W students in physical education classes and athletics.

In 1950, the Women's Gymnasium was renovated due to inadequacies. The project costing approximately $10,000 made the building better equipped for women's classes and recreation. The building was cleaned, better lighting was installed, and the heating was improved. The girls shower room was improved and a separate room for drying swimsuits was provided. Classrooms, storage rooms, and offices were made into one locker room. The pool was also redecorated along with the men's pool locker room.

The pool was closed in the Winter of 1977 because of energy shortages and increased costs of heating the facility. When the Recreation Center was completed in 1986, the gymnasium and pool were no longer used for athletic purposes. The building was renovated in 1990 and is now the Student Activities Center. The pool has remained empty and is used by the Outdoors Club and Health and Physical Education Department as an Archery Range.  

Citation: “New Swimming Pool,” Baldwin-Wallace College News Letter 10, no. 4 (1944): p. 3.

The new swimming pool at Baldwin- Wallace was formally dedicated on Wednesday, February 23, at 4:00 p. m. At 4:30 the dedicatory service was held within the new structure. The architects, Mellenbrook, Foley and Scott, formally presented the building. It was accepted by Mr. A. Fred Crossman, chairman, for the Board of Trustees, by President Louis C. Wright for the administration, and by Coach Ray Watts for the Department of Physical Education. Each of these persons spoke briefly, and Acting-Chaplain Dr. Ernest Knautz offered the dedicatory prayer.

On February 23 at 7:00 p. m. a service of recognition was held for civilian students and Navy V-12 graduates. Thirteen civilians received certificates confirming the completion of work for degrees. The degrees will be formally conferred at the Commencement Exercises on May 1. Forty Navy men who were completing the required work for the V-12 Trainees' Course were also recognized. One of them, Henry George Miller, of Akron, was completing degree work in the college as well as the Navy course.

President Wright and Lieutenant Kenneth O. Wilson shared in conducting the service of recognition which included academic honors. Navy awards, and special recognition for extra-curricular activities.

The following Navy V-12 students received awards at the Convocation:

To A. Fred Portman of R. F. D. 2, Amherst, a citation was awarded for highest honors in scholarship. Mr. Portman not only completed the Navy V-12 course but college requirements as well for a Bachelor of Arts Degree. To John Harold Rutledge of Akron a citation as "Unit honor man" given for general military bearing, neatness, and attention to rules and regulations; to Paul Eugene Weimer of Akron a commendation for dramatic ability and "complete willingness to use his outstanding talents for the entertainment and pleasure of the members of the Unit"; to David Nash Planton of Girard a commendation for "artistic talent and many hours of time and work in properly fitting out the Seamanship room at Headquarters" ; to Joseph George Bandy of Alliance a commendation for "devotion of organizational experience and musical ability to the formation and direction of the V-12 Unit band." Henry George Miller of Akron received honors in economics. Mr. Miller completed the required Navy V-12 course as well as all requirements for an A. B. Degree.

Special recognition was given to one of the civilian students, Ada Batchelor Stein of Rocky River, for special honors in speech.