Citation: A. Wesley Roehm, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1928), p. 141.
The Echod Club is the infant organization on the B-W campus, the result of several years of desire for such an organization. It is a Jewish organization but every male student enrolled in the College is eligible for membership.
In the fall of 1926 the first productive steps were completed, and by March of the following year the club had been fully organized and recognized by the school authorities. Harry Tucker and Maurice Klein were the leaders in this work, Tucker being unanimously elected the first president.
The purpose of the club is three fold: to urge greater educational attainment; to formulate an organization whose members shall espouse the highest ideals of manhood; and to inspire and retain the amity and esteem of the student body.
Entertaining meetings were held each week at the homes of the respective members, including open meetings and theater parties, and finally a banquet to end up the year. During the summer an outing reunited the members and just before this school year opened, a theater party and banquet in honor of the new alumni and charter members was held.
Recently a smoker was held in the newly acquired club rooms in the Hanna Building, having as our guests quite a number of our friends at B-W.
We are very fortunate in having Rabbi Barnett R. Brickner and Judge Samuel H. Silbert as our honorary members and Professor William C. Pautz as our faculty adviser.
Citation: “Another Greek-Letter,” The Exponent (Berea, OH), January 14, 1930, p. 4.
Perhaps the event of greatest social consequence that has occurred this school-year is the grant by the faculty of the Echod Club's request to assume Greek letters. This is but a step in the club's effort to gain recognition on the campus as a fraternity, and the boys of Alpha Sigma Delta are to be congratulated.
During the four years that the Echod Club has functioned on the campus, it has been more than active along social lines. The Echod affairs have often taken on the atmosphere of all-college functions, and have set an example in open dances for the other groups to follow.
This step is to be considered commendable as a step toward the creation of social life for Jewish students on the B-W campus.
Citation: Alvin Norcross, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1939), p. 42.
Few academic fields see more action than Social Science - politics, economics, sociology, men and events, a world in transition. Indelible memories are those of Prof. Pautz's "come on now--straight up the ol' alley", lovable old Doc. Boggess, handsome Clyde Feuchter, trenchant Professor Nissen, smiling Doctor Yoder.
To this club goes the distinction of being the youngest organization on the campus. It had its beginnings last fall, originating in the desire of a group of students interested in economics to keep themselves informed about current topics and problems in the field, and has been under the presidency of Carlton Mead. The club has the nearly unique characteristic of being a project entirely begun and developed by students. One of the chief aims of the group is the formation of individual interests in this subject, leading to graduate study and private research.
Citation: A. Wesley Roehm, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1928), p. 134.
The Education Club, composed of students enrolled in education classes, and under the supervision of Professor Roehm, is an active organization on the campus. Its meetings are held regularly once a month.
In keeping with the celebration of National Education Week the club put on the program in chapel. Members of the club who gave short talks on educational subjects were Miss Elizabeth Black, Miss Eva Baesel, and Mr. Parke Thompson. Miss Arline Peschke gave several appropriate readings.
The purpose of this club is to promote greater interest in educational problems of the present day. A number of prominent educators have addressed the club on some of the problems. Among the speakers were: Mr. Berry, Superintendent of Berea Schools; Mr. Began, assistant Cuyahoga County Superintendent; Mr. Crow, Superintendent of Strongsville Schools; and Mr. Yawberg, Superintendent of Cuyahoga County Schools. The Club is doing its utmost to be of help to the prospective teachers.
Citation: Dean Webb, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1935), p. 59.
The Education Club was organized on this campus when a dire need was felt to foster a greater understanding of the problems that face every teacher. In order to accomplish this purpose, various educational men and women of importance are invited to speak on contemporary problems. Meetings are held once a month in the parlors of Emma Lang Hall on Tuesday evenings.
This year the Educational Club has been outstanding in its proceedings as it has been graced with a very large membership of interested people. Then too, the speakers have been of extraordinary talent which naturally inspires the members. Those in the group are proud of the work done and feel that such success has only been possible because of the untiring efforts of Miss Longbon and its most capable group of officers.
Citation: Alvin Norcross, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1939), p. 35.
The Education Club, organized in 1923 by Dean Roehm, has the distinction of being the second student organization on the campus. Its purpose is to stimulate student interest in pertinent educational problems.
The group, consisting of approximately fifty members, is open to any student enrolled in an education course. Meetings are held monthly, usually in the form of student panel discussions or lectures by faculty members and outside speakers. One of the most interesting meetings of the year was the chapel program at which the principal speaker was Dean Snyder of Washington, D. C., head of the Educational Program of the Civilian Conservation Corps, and a Baldwin-Wallace graduate. Boasting that they are out to streamline education, the group during the current year has been under the fine student leadership of Robert Tschanz.
Citation: Glenn F. Wickes, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1941), p. 72.
The Education Club is composed of all those who plan to become teachers. It is one of the school's larger clubs, having about fifty members. Rita Wensink is the president for the current year. Dean Roehm and Miss Longbon of the Education Department are the sponsors of the club.
The Education Club holds monthly meetings, at which its members discuss problems of the practice teachers, listen to interesting talks on educational problems, and learn a great deal about classroom management, certification, teaching requirements, and other things of interest to prospective educators.
The Club is necessarily composed of upper classmen, and all of them have a common educational interest.
Citation: Mary Papp, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1945), p. 94.
Junior and senior English majors are ipso facto members of the English club, which meets for discussions and speeches on various literary topics.
Citation: Lloyd C. Wicke, ed., “Engineering Club Is Started at B-W. By Professor Baur,” The Exponent, March 31, 1922, p. 5.
Dean White Is Elected President of New Society; Koehler Is Vice-President
Among the new societies at Baldwin-Wallace created this year is an organization of our students known as the "B-W. Engineering Society." Its purpose is to "promote the knowledge and ability of its members along engineering lines." The first organization meeting of this society was held on Feb. 21, 1922. At this time a committee was appointed to draft a constitution. On Feb. 28, 1922, the constitution was duly adopted and the officers of the club elected. The officers of the club at present are: Dean White, President; Carl Koehler, Vice-President and Treasurer; Ernest Root, Secretary and Chairman of the Executive Committee, and Harold Storms and William Winchell as members of the Executive Committee.
Meetings of the club are held on every Monday at 1:00 P.M., in the Science Hall Lecture Room. The usual program consists of two talks of 20 minutes each on some interesting engineering accomplishment, giving the details of construction and operation, along with other instructive data likely to be beneficial to embryo engineers. The members of the club total 13, with Professors Unnewehr and Baur as honorary members. The public is cordially invited to attend the meetings of the club. One of the first accomplishments of the new society was the obtaining of subscriptions for several current engineering magazines. These magazines, previously unavailable to our students, have been placed in the library and are therefore made available to all our student body. The members of the new organization feel that they are receiving considerable benefit from the club and intend to make it one of the lives, going organizations on our campus.