Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Encyclopedia of Baldwin Wallace University History: Campus Locations - F

An Index of Historical Content and Their Sources

Fawick Art Gallery

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The Fawick Art Gallery, located within the Art and Drama Center, was dedicated 2:30 p.m. on October 19, 1978. The gallery was named in honor of Thomas Fawick, a late Cleveland industrialist, inventor, lover of art and music, and friend of Baldwin Wallace College. Thomas Fawick had a major impact on art and industry in America. He held 192 patents ranging from reduction gears and clutches to rubber golf g1ips. He built a steam automobile at age sixteen and the First American four-door sedan in 1908. He wrote over 2,000 compositions for the violin and had them played on his own handmade instruments. When in Cleveland, the Metropolitan Opera played at his plant for his employees. His personal art collection including 1,500 items was valued at $2 million. The system he developed was first used publicly on the B-W campus. His love of art and youth have benefited Baldwin-Wallace. In the gallery named for his honor included the only known reproductions of the great pieces of Greek sculpture "Poseidon" and "The Charioteer".

Findley Hall

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

Groundbreaking for Findley Hall on north campus near Emma Lang Hall was held on March 8, 1956. The residence hall for women was dedicated June 15, 1958. The hall, located on Beech Street, was the eighth dormitory to be built on the campus.

The building is composed of two three-story wing which could house up to 180 people. It also included a one story dining hall in addition to the two wings. The building has a central lounge connecting the two wings a bathroom on each floor. Mellenbrook, Foley, and Scott were the architects and R. S. Ursprung, a Trustee, was the general contractor. The cost of the building was $700,000.

On February 15, 1958 the new dorm was dedicated in honor and memory of Mr. and Mrs. Emerson Findley. Mr. Findley was a member of the Board of Trustees from 1935 until his death in 1945.

The hall was intended for women and was the home to a few sororities during its years as a women's dorm. The hall is presently used to house men and women and is independent as there are no Greek sections located there. The dining hall is now used as a recreation room and a new, one-story wing, connecting North and Findley Hall, has been added to provide more rooms for male students.

Floreske Hall

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

Dedicated on September 15, 1995, the hall was named in honor of Herbert J. and Marie Floreske. The apartments are used to provide a place of residence for Baldwin-Wallace College students. Typically, the occupants of the apartments are junior and senior level students. The mission of the hall was to provide a special residential environment by providing a comfortable, quality environment in which students can live, learn, and grow during their days at Baldwin-Wallace College. The hall was made possible by the generosity of Marie Floreske.

The hall, located at 219 Seminary Street, contains eight units for twenty residents, with six one-bedroom units and two two-bedroom units. The total cost of acquiring the building was $263,000.

Fullmer Arboretum

 Citation: “Arboretum is Tribute to E. L. Fullmer,” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 27, no. 1 (1949): p. 5.

Nearly 150 different species of trees and shrubs grow in an entirely natural pattern on the North Campus today, as the result of untiring efforts over a 35-year period by Edward L. Fullmer.

Professor emeritus of biology and head of the department from 1903- 1940, Professor Fullmer was honored several years ago when the Baldwin-Wallace board of trustees decided to designate a part of the North Campus as the "Fullmer Arboretum," in recognition of his work and interest.

On the first day of November, 1948, the biology department officially dedicated the Fullmer Arboretum. A large granite glacial boulder placed under a great white oak tree now bears the inscription:

Fullmer Arboretum

In Appreciation of the Services of

PROF. EDWARD L. FULLMER

Head of the Biology Department

1903 - 1940

The oak tree itself is a tradition, being the same one under which the first senior breakfast took place for a class of about nine persons!

Working almost entirely alone, Professor Fullmer for 35 years has painstakingly gathered native trees and shrubs from all over the country, raising many from seeds. He has concentrated on local flora, keeping in mind his primary objective of representing as many native Ohio plants as possible.

When Professor Fullmer began his work, the North Campus served mainly as an athletic field, and was surrounded by a high board fence. The botanist's first planting was near the walk on the west side of the field, and behind what is now the Burrell Memorial Observatory. The far north end of the area was an orchard, and a few scattered fruit trees- near Lang Hall, the home economics house and the library- are remnants of that early grove.

Largest tree in the area at the time Professor Fullmer began his arboretum was a silver maple. Still standing, that plant now is reduced to average size by comparison with dozens of trees since transferred to the B-W land.

Most of the specimens were gathered by Professor Fullmer himself as he scouted through woods all over Ohio. Nurseries in the West supplied other seeds and plantings, and faculty members contributed their discoveries.

Some of the unusual plants. in the arboretum today include several exceedingly rare species of ash. Evergreens brought from Colorado also are uncommon in this area, as are the Siberian pea, Russian olive, English filbert and Kentucky coffee trees.

The Chinese ginko, popular some 50 years ago with gardeners on wealthy estates, as a mark of affluence, also stands in the Fullmer Arboretum. This particular plant is of the primitive type said to have been the food of the dinosaur.

Descriptive labels about each tree are being prepared by members of the biology department faculty. Included on the aluminum plates are interesting features of each specimen, such as its mature size, use, etc., as well as the common and generic name of each tree. Composing and mounting of the descriptive labels will be concluded early this spring.

Far from being complete, the Fullmer Arboretum is expanding continually. Only last year Professor Fullmer sent from his vacation site in Florida a sundew plant- one whose leaves grow tiny projecting hairs to catch and digest insects. The botanist recently added a native Ohio cactus to the plant collection.

Only major problems connected with the arboretum seem to be divorced from the field of biology. One concerns woodpeckers, whose critical ears like the sound of beaks tapping on the metal name plates and incidentally poking holes in the aluminum labels! The other problem is caused by youngsters making a game of switching name plates on the trees, and for the time being visitors are being warned, "Don't Believe in Signs."

Citation: Bette Lou Higgins, The Past We Inherit: A history of Baldwin-Wallace College 1835 - 1974 (printed by the author, 1974), 95.

Professor Edward L. Fullmer, head of the Biology Department from 1903-1940, worked for 35 years on a dream. His vision was an arboretum on North Campus, which – at that time – was mainly an athletic field surrounded by a high board fence. His first plant in making the dream come true was near the walk on the west side of the field behind what is now Burrell Observatory. (The far north end of the area was an orchard.) At the time of the first planting, the largest tree in that area was a silver maple.

During his 35 years of almost solitary work, Professor Fullmer gathered native trees and shrubs from all over the country, raising many from seeds. His primary purpose was an extensive representation of as many native Ohio plants as possible.

Scouting through Ohio woods, gathering plantlings from nurseries in the west, collecting the green discoveries of other faculty members, Prof. Fullmer managed to collect some unique and unusual greenery including several rare species of ash, Colorado evergreens, Siberian pea, Russian Olive, English filbert, and Kentucky coffee trees. He also managed to get some reputed dinosaur food -- the Chinese ginko. The arboretum also contains a sundew plant with leaves that catch and digest insects, (the sundew was sent from Florida by Prof. Fullmer in 1948) and a native Ohio cactus. By 1949, 150 different species of trees and shrubs were growing on North Campus.

On November 1, 1948, the Biology Dept. officially dedicated the Fullmer Arboretum. Under the oak tree where the first senior breakfast (a class of about nine!) took place, a large granite glacial boulder was given the inscription:

Fullmer Arboretum

In Appreciation of the Services of

Prof. Edward L. Fullmer

Head of the Biology Department

1903-1940

Biology faculty members began preparing descriptive labels for the trees in the new arboretum. The aluminum plates include interesting features of each specimen and the common and generic name of each tree.

But the Arboretum was not without its problems. Woodpeckers kept poking holes in the aluminum labels and youngsters kept switching name plates on the trees. Faculty members were on the alert in 1949 to repair and replace name plates.

Well, problems or not, at least one man’s dream came true – with benefits for all B-W people.

Citation: Updated B-W History, n.d.

The Arboretum is located on 5th Street behind the Burrell Memorial Observatory. Included in the observatory is a very rare tree discovered in Georgia in 1775 called the Franklinia tree. It has not grown in the wild since 1903. The dawn redwood, or Metasequoia glyptostrobojdes, is another endangered species that is prospering in the arboretum.