Citation: Charles G. Zierk, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1916), p. 36.
In the year eighteen hundred and sixty-five the Theological Course was added to the list of subjects already taught at the College. In the year nineteen hundred and one this course was extended and made a department of the College through the generosity of Col. H. A. Marting, Fannie Nast Gamble, and George Kalmbach, who founded chairs for the teaching of theology. The Nast Theological Seminary, as it is called, has the distinction of being one of the foremost schools of theology in German Methodism.
Citation: William. G. Halley, ed., Grindstone (Berea, OH: Baldwin-Wallace College, 1918), p. 44.
Two years after the founding of the college, the Board of Trustees decided to establish a Chair of Biblical Literature with special reference to the needs of German Methodism. From this small beginning Nast Theological Seminary, so-called in memory of the first president of the former German Wallace College, Dr. Wilhelm Nast, developed. The scope of courses offered was enlarged as the need was felt until today the department offers full and complete courses in Theology. Although originally established to educate young men for the German Ministry, it now has a Slavic Department and offers at least one year of the regular Seminary course to students preparing for the English ministry. The Seminary educates young men not only for the ministry but also offers such courses as will give those preparing to enter other lines of Christian work the necessary equipment.
Citation: Frances F. Mills, ed., “Baldwin-Wallace College and St. Luke's Hospital Establish New Course” Baldwin-Wallace Alumnus 13, no. 2 (1935): p. 14.
Baldwin Wallace College and St. Luke's Hospital, Cleveland, are now affiliated in offering a combination course in liberal arts and nursing, by which it is possible in a six-year course to obtain the degree of bachelor of science and a diploma in nursing.
The plan provides for three years of study at Baldwin-Wallace and two years and eight months at St. Luke's Hospital. It will be in effect next September.
A main achievement of the new course will be the development of mature nursing students who have learned how to study, and who will have a finer preparation for the important work of nursing. A wider cultural background together with intensive professional training will be the result of the combined course.
If it is financially too difficult for any student, the work at the College, can be interrupted while the three year's nurse's training course is taken, after which it may be easier to continue the College course. The B. S. degree will not be given until the entire work is completed for the academic requirements.
In entering upon this plan St. Luke's Hospital will not abandon its regular course of nursing, and nursing diplomas will be granted to all who complete training there.
Aside from Lakeside Hospital and Western Reserve University which have affiliation, St. Luke's Hospital and Baldwin-Wallace College will be the only institutions thus affiliated in this area.